Ash Trees dying from top down.

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Tooty2shoes, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I had finally gotten around to finding out what is kill our Ash trees. I knew it wasn't the Ash tree bore. I did figure it was some sort of fungus. :crying: Boo hoo. My fears have been confirmed. :eek: It is a fungus that enters the crown of the tree and kills it from the top down. Not much one can do except to get rid of the infected trees. One site said that they should be burned to kill the fungus.
    I also read that Europe is dealing with a similar, or same fungus killing their Ash trees. How sad. Well my hubby will be busy for the next couple of weeks cutting them down and giving the neighbors the wood to burn.

2. Loading...

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm sorry to hear about your trees. It takes so long for them to grow that it is disheartening to have to cut them down. Are you planning on planting other trees and, I just thought of this, did you have shade beds planted around them?

4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

2ofus-- thank you. No these are trees that make up around half of our 1/2 wooded back property. Not much we can do for them. It is is pretty sad.

5. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

That's a serious bummer, so sorry!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

If it isn't the Ash tree borer killing them it's an untreatable disease. We have a lot of Black walnuts from one of our black walnut trees that we will take down to that area and let the squirrels plant them. They always do a great job.