At what point would you hire an interior designer?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by chrissicam, Aug 20, 2009.

1. chrissicam

chrissicam New Seed

My friends keep saying people won't hire an interior designer. I'm trying to get the general demographic for residential design, for those who would be willing to hire a designer.

2. nicolettedesign

nicolettedesign New Seed

Most people won't hire interior designers for themselves. But they will hire an interior designer to stage a house for sale. What you need to do is target home owners looking to sell their homes, or work out cross promotion deals with contractors.

3. DecorExpert

DecorExpert New Seed

Unfortunately, many people are not hiring interior designers today because of the economic downturn. They are turning to DIY guides and friends' advice and hoping for the best. People designing offices or commercial spaces still do go for a professional touch.

4. interiordesignr

interiordesignr New Seed

If you have the money, then I don't see why you shouldn't get yourself an interior designer or interior decorator, both of whom are different by the way. Let's put it this way: if you're sick, you go to the doctor. If you need to sue, go to a lawyer. A profession serves a purpose, and that is to be hired for their expertise. Spending money for a designer may not be thrilling thought, but you will get your money's worth unlike having a joe schmoe get your homes designed.

moderator's note: removed website links, see point 1.1 of usage rules

Advertisement
  5. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Never!! never had never would, always do my own, always ask who was your designer, reply your looking at her.. lol P.S. over the years have had two try to hire me, reply no thanks!

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I wouldn't either. I am more interested in decorating in a way that makes us comfortable, not following some color or style trend.

We figure that any interior designer/decorator who walked into our house would fall over in a dead faint at our lack of 'style' ;)

7. Vampire

Vampire New Seed

Ermm.... But I engage a Interior designer and things seems to be very smooth for me, that guy actually took care of everything. And for me I think its good lo...

Vampire

8. kate

kate In Flower

If I won the lottery

:D

So for me its cost of such a luxury.

9. Vampire

Vampire New Seed

but you still need to pay for renovation ma so whats the different by engaging a ID and Contractor

moderator's note: replaced Chat speak with normal writing see point 3.2 of usage rules

10. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I would if I had some discretionary $$ especially to help me choose colors. Since I don't, I do it myself. I would be more inclined, maybe, to hire someone for a consult, say on an hourly basis, rather than the whole shebang. Good luck with your venture.

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm thinking that there is some confusion about Interior Designer and Interior Decorator.

A 'Designer' works much like an architect, laying out floor plans for safety, efficiency and purpose and sometimes will handle the aesthetics like color and furniture style.
    An Interior Decorator selects or helps you select the colors, textures, cabinets, furniture, flower vases, napkins, dishes, etc that make a room pretty.

If I was doing a renovation then hiring either an Interior Designer or Architect would be the way to go. Which one would depend on who would work with me to make it what I wanted and wouldn't charge a fortune for it.

When I am re-decorating a room, I do it myself.

12. arv

arv Seedling

Thanks Toni for making the distinction between an Interior Designer and a decorator . As an architect I see myself first and foremost as a space planner . You will be surprised how many different ways space can be designed within the confines of the same envelope based on the needs of the clients . As far as matters of style , fashion and taste , that is very often just applique , something that decorators are trained to do . But please don't club the two together .

13. Vampire

Vampire New Seed

No ma engaging an ID they will also renovate for you ma its in a package...

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Interior Decorating

Hiring an Interior Designer should be considered if (1)you want your home to be as beautiful as it can be and you don't know what to do, (2) you want to upgrade your home from something rubbish to so something great and (3) to stage your home for sale..

moderator's note: removed website link, see point 1.1 of usage rules

15. HeatherM

HeatherM New Seed

If you are nervous about the interior design fees, but still would like professional help, there are other options.
    Many designers work as consultants. They will come in for a flat rate and make suggestions based on your goals and what you would like to achieve. It would be up to you to implement the design, select actual furnishings, accessories and art work.
    If you are looking to purchase all new furniture, many furniture stores (such as Ethan Allen, Walter E. Smith, Basset and Thomasville) offer free interior design services as long as you purchase from them.
    Interior designers will select everything for you, work with you to revise anything you don't like, be sure all codes are met, send the construction documents out to bid, project manage and manage all the vendors that are involved. You need to determine if you would like to fill the role as general contractor, project manager and vendor relations, or if it's worth it to hire someone to do it for you.