Atmospheric River

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Clay_22, Mar 11, 2023.

1. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

So I am on weather.com getting the forecast yesterday [which was wrong] and saw a red alert band saying California is getting hit with an "atmospheric river" I guess down pour or heavy rain is no longer the thing to say. I think they are just making these terms up now :chuckle:. I guess long words are scary to the general populous.

Netty, Pacnorwest, Zigs and 5 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh good grief, Clay. My Bride and I laughed so hard at your great posting this time. Over here we have new terms being thought-up as well…not with weather, mercifully. We do watch foreign TV stations and listen to foreign radio to sort of keep up with what’s going on in the world.

We noticed that weather-persons started with this “atmospheric river “ term, and now someone has taken the river theme further and begun giving them names. We are a bit too sober for this sort of playful nonsense. Haha. No, but really…the old-fashioned words worked well, didn’t they.

Over here there is a thing where work titles are being changed. The simplest jobs like I had as a puber now have very fancy-sounding names. This sort of devaluates the meaning that the title once conveyed. Terms like manager, supervisor, engineer are loosely given to the young girls serving cool drinks and chips on terraces. All of them having the same title as shown on their clip-on name tag. You just have to take it all with a grain of salt and move on.
    It is more interesting to me than infuriating. You can’t help but analysing how this phenomenon came to be.

Anyhow, thanks again for this posting, I really enjoyed it.

Clay_22, Pacnorwest, Zigs and 3 others like this.
  4. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

@Sjoerd You have to laugh at this nonsense. They really need to get more accurate with the predicting before playing the name game. LOL

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Haha, Clay and Sjoerd, we're regularly rolling our eyes at fancy-schmancy names, terms, and titles too. Glad we're not the only ones. This has been going on for decades. I assume it has gotten worse over the years?

One of the cleaners at my old job jokingly said since everybody had such nice-sounding titles she wanted one too. She insisted we adressed her as "parquet cosmetologist" + surname. Boy, did we laugh at that!

Sjoerd, Pacnorwest, Zigs and 3 others like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Too right, Clay.
    Good to hear that you are aware as well, Droopy. Actually, it is hard to miss.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
    Pacnorwest likes this.
  7. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

I've looked at sky ponds from both sides now :D

Droopy and Pacnorwest like this.
  8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Yeap atmospheric river is on its way . Maybe if they would give these storms nicer names they would be so nasty and dangerous.

Zigs likes this.
  9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

A fairly new term to our weathermen the past couple of years to describe cold winter conditions that happen every year in Canada - 'polar vortex'. That sounds a lot more scary to the general public for sure!

10. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

@Netty they been using the vortex term here in the States too.

Pacnorwest and Zigs like this.