Aurora Borealis

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Droopy, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I may rave and rant about weather and temps, but living so far north has a few benefits. For two nights in a row we've been entertained by the Aurora borealis, the northern lights. The display has been wonderfully diverse. We've seen angels, stars, rays, bars and swirls. The greens and yellows have been dominant, but we've also had a bit of blue and red in between. My camera isn't good enough to photograph the aurora, so I've shamelessly borrowed a photo from our local newspaper. This is from Sunday night:

[​IMG]

You might also like the photo in this article: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/2016/03/06/Sjekk-ut-nordlyset-12246561.ece

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for the link. I never tire of looking at aurora pics. We had aurora in Holland a couple of nights ago, but they were not visible in my town because of the cloudiness. They WERE visible in the province of Groningen and northern Friesland.

Seeing those pics sure brought back fond memories.

Droopy likes this.
  3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They are beautiful, wish I could see them.
    Parts of north Texas could see a glimmer of the lights near the horizon one night in June 2015. I live in the city so there really is no horizon lower than the roof tops of neighboring houses and I didn't get to see them.

Droopy likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've always wanted to see the Aurora borealis but, sadly, never have. Although photographs look great there's nothing quite like experiencing this phenomenon for yourself. Everyone I know that have seen the Northern Lights say it's something they'll never forget.

Droopy likes this.

Advertisement
  5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Look them up on Youtube.com. I could watch them for hours on there... I have seen them one time when I was moving from SC to Illinois. We were near normal in around 1971. We had to pull over to watch the show. What a welcome to the state of Illinois it was. Got no pictures, no cell phones back them. Everything was packed in 2 cars at the time...

Droopy likes this.
  6. Droopy

I've grown up with the aurora, and it needs to be very good for me to stand outside and watch. *lol* But on bright nights with a display like that we're out there getting stiff necks.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I've seen it a few times when living in northern Washington. The first time I saw it I woke up my young children and even called my friends. With in 20 minutes half of the small town we lived in were bundled up, standing outside, in awe.

Droopy likes this.
  8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Droopy I would be out there getting a stiff neck also. How wonderful and beautiful. We do not get a chance to see them being in the middle of the US. Thanks for sharing that. The picture looks like a mushroom or a palm tree. How beautiful.

Droopy likes this.
  9. eclecticgarden

eclecticgarden Seedling

I would love to see that in person one day. My son wants to move to Canada, so maybe "one day" will come pretty soon.

Droopy likes this.
  10. Droopy

2ofus, our youngest had never seen a proper display before last year's Christmas. We woke her up late in the evening. She didn't want to go back inside.

Tooty, you'd be more than welcome. :D

Eclectic, I do hope you'll get to see them some time. They're a sight when they're good.

I think I forgot to specify that the link takes you to a photo wheel. Just click the top photo with the barn and you're on to the next one.

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Oh, I am glad you mentioned the photo wheel! I've looked though to severat times. Isn't Mother Nature fantastic!

Droopy likes this.
  12. Droopy

Did you like our town center? It looks like a man-made canal but it was there from the beginning.

13. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I did think it was a canal! Glad you set me straight on that. I thought the photo's with the Aurora Borealis showing in the sky and being reflected in the water were really pretty.