Australian Open Tennis

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Doghouse Riley, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I record it on two Eurosport Channels and watch some of this. There's probably 24 hours of more of it, covering several courts.
    This is the first "grand slam" here, where line judges are not used and a computer system is used to replace them. The chair umpire is still used, obviously. The first was "Hawkeye" but this one I believe is provided by Rolex.
    The players cannot challenge the decisions, when, "computer says, out!" but can ask to see one and it comes up on the big screen. It's "never wrong" so this doesn't happen very often.
    I was amused when one of the commentators mentioned that Serena Williams has "welcomed it."
    Yeah!
    Her PR people probably told her to say that. But it won't erase the memories of previous occasions, when she's threatened to kill a line judge and another where she called the umpire "a cheat," because decisions went against her. She'd look daft harranguing a computer.
    Fashions constantly change in women's tennis apparel. The latest "Melbourne Collection" from Nike includes a skirt where the hem is cut on the diagonal. Mid thigh on the right and just above the cuff of regular knickers on the left-hand side, or to expose the Nike "swoosh" on them on longer leg ones. This presumably to facilitate stuffing a second ball up the side of them into an inverted pocket more easily. There you go, no change out of £60.

www.nike.com/gb/t/nikecourt-slam-tennis-skirt-8x1nwW/CV4829-100

I can never understand the willingness of professional female players to play long rallies with a second ball stuffed up their knickers. OK fine, if you're playing club tennis, but at these tournements, there's constantly two ballboy/girls within feet of them between serves, with usually another ball in each hand, making the practice entirely unnecessary. It's as quick to accept a ball for one of them, as for them to fish around in their underwear for another.

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Hate tennis ! Makes no sense for adults to chase a ball around a concrete slab ! Sorry but I am not a sports fan !

S-H likes this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Mart, you need to see things from a guy's point of view... We actually aren't the least bit interested in seeing the ball, or the concrete slab, or the net - Heck we aren't even interested in seeing other guys playing!

Seriously I mean, do I really need to spell it out?

:rofl:

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

mart, different strokes for different folks, right? No skin off your nose.

Advertisement
  6. Doghouse Riley

Who's "we?"

I make it a rule, if I'm not interested in a topic I don't pass comment, I doubt iof anyone cares in what I'm not interested.

I've always been interested in sport. Cricket and rugby at school. Later five a side football then I got into squash and played for a club team in the North West Counties Leagues until I was fifty. Squash's a winter sport, so played tennis in the summer. When I took early retirement my kids suggested it wouldn't be wise to go back to play a lot of squash, so why not try golf?
    Took to it and really enjoy it. Just an average standard club player. Best ever score, gross 79 at the age of 70.

Our three kids took up different sports, rowing, American Football and tennis.

Grandkids football, rowing and basketball.

Sports are good exercise and character building. But I agree thaey aren't for all. My wife's a good example.

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ahh Ha ! So its just the ladies and short skirts ??? Thats ok but try ladies wrestling ! Or Roller derby !

8. Doghouse Riley

The big sportswear companies use female tennis players contracted to them, as a "billboards" for their products, with new designs every year. It's common knowledge Maria Sharapova earned $38 million in prize money but a further $287 million from endorsements (not all for tennis gear), despite serving a drugs ban.

Some women players seem as much interested in how the look as how they play. The men not so much.
    I noticed the new young sensation, Cory Gauff had immaculately presented nails with bright blue nail polish, she must have spent a lot of time on them before her game with Elina Svitolina. Maybe a mistake, as she lost 6-4, 6-3, (Elina had short nails and no nail polish). You can't help noticing these things as the cameras frequently give close ups on how they grip their raquets.

Mind you, it's more difficult for these companies with sponsored track athletes, there's hardly anywhere they can put on a logo, so brief is their running gear these days.

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Tennis players are so utterly arrogant,, male or female its a real bust !

S-H likes this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart, if men want to run around in short pants and play with a ball, why not women? I really don't enjoy any sports except rodeo, especially bull riding. It's simple enough for me to understand.
    I remember Naomi Osaka, a tennis player from Japan, who was overcome with the attention and kindness she received from one of the Williams sisters (I forget which one).
    Arrogant people are arrogant, and it isn't limited to sports or celebrity status.
    You could never be arrogant since you are kind, intelligent, and many times hilarious!

11. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

But I hear that female mud wrestlers are very down to Earth, (literally)...

:snicker: :rofl::smt044