Avitrol is lethal to wild birds

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Gail-Steman, Sep 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Avitrol is used as a chemical frightening agent to remove pest birds from a given location. Avitrol as applied is a chemically treated grain bait.

Avitrol is used as a chemical frightening agent to remove pest birds from a given location. Avitrol as applied is a chemically treated grain bait. Birds eating the treated bait will be affected in a manner that, varying by species, will artificially cause them to emit distress and alarm cries and visual displays used by their species when they are frightened or injured. This may include flying erratically, vocalizing, trembling, dilation of the pupils and other symptoms indicative of loss of motor control. This will frighten the flock and cause it to leave the site. In laboratory testing, if the dose is lethal, death will usually occur within an hour following.

Target Pests
    Blackbird / Cowbird / Crow / Grackle House Sparrow / Pigeon / Starling

I've just been reading about this Avitrol that's used and it's totally disgusting the stress the birds go through..how they can use it God knows :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2018
  2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, seeing what the birds did to our corn this year I understand the desire to protect a desired food crop from the birds.

3. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Hi @carolyn i can understand it where crops are concerned because it's farmers lively hoods at stake but some people would use it just for the sport of using it where it's not needed :)

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I've never heard of this but it sounds horrible!!
    Im wondering if this is even legal in Canada?

Gail-Steman likes this.

Advertisement
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I found the page you got that info from and the last paragraph states.....
    Restricted Use Pesticides, meaning that only certified Pest Control Applicators with Restricted Use Pesticide licenses may purchase or use Avitrol.
    So hopefully with those restrictions in place there won't be any 'killing for sport' being done.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I am not sure that this product is even available anymore, btw. Our neighbor who is a farmer was talking about the birds while we were trying to deal with them... and ended up just sending the birds into his corn with the avian control product we used... which was an almond oil based "deterrent" product... he has little or no options for bird problems. once they are in the corn it ruins the silage as there is mold in the ears before the corn is chopped. birds are a huge problem for crops.

7. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

toni sorry if I've done wrong by adding this discussion :headscratch:

Netty I've never heard of it before but it came up when typing about Toxic food for pets and I saw a video on youtube by a vet with a pigeon having seizures :(

Yes it's still available to buy from the actual site itself and ebay i'm totally shocked.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2018
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Last few years we have grown 6 rows of sweet corn ,,each about half the length of a football field ! We have never lost anything to birds and only about 3 or 4 stalks to raccoons. Hubby says we have enough to share ! Of course we have the dogs but they don`t spend that much time in the large garden. Coyotes and watermelons though are a different matter !

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

No,, its fine to post anything that may help !! I had never heard of this stuff so its good to know !

Gail-Steman likes this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Mart.. we lost at least 1/2 of our corn to grackles this year. it was absolutely frustrating and disgusting! wasteful! every ear was trashed. the top of every ear was shredded. people dont want to buy nasty looking corn.

11. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

I'd never heard of it before either.