Awkward space. Need ideas!

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Kell, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Kell

Kell New Seed

Hello everyone! We bought a starter home about three years ago. It is a small home, and lacks storage. There is this awkward space in the kitchen that has always bothered me. It is an open space above the back closet. There are shelves in the front, but this entire area tends to be the perfect spot to collect junk. Things get placed on top, and thrown on the shelves. I would really like to do something with this area, but I don't know what. Any ideas??

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I can tell you of a few options I have used in our very small abode. (I love:smt055 old, small houses by the way:smt060) I found baskets that would fit the shelf for my daybed. I did an online search for baskets to fit under my little daybed ( it's made out of an old huge coffee table). Got a huge amount of storage for my different crafts in those baskets. There are all different sizes, styles, colors and materials out there and Amazon carries a lot of them.

One old cabinet that looked aweful got some spray paint to the interior. I was surprised how much that little bit of contrasting paint made a huge difference and now I keep my cast iron skillets there and a basket of cloth napkins for picnics.

Another option might be to find some old shutters/windows or just build simple door(s) to cover up the storage. The doors don't have to fit perfectly and either the rustic or painted wood wood look great. (Caulking covers up lots of mistakes if you decide to paint). It could be a nice little pantry.

Attached Files:

Frank likes this.
  4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

What a great space to store large pans that are not used very often or small electric appliances. If you fill it up with useful items it may stop the junking problem. Jewell's idea of doors would make it less 'handy' for unwanted items to be tossed in.