Azur Star Kohlrabi FINALLY produced a bulb

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Acquanette, May 25, 2020.

1. Acquanette

Acquanette New Seed

EF1C8659-0A32-4006-82C7-3249E2087D9E.jpeg I’m SO excited!

Kohlrabi is not sold in stores here in Memphis TN.
    My first and only taste of one was on a visit to the East coast.

I was shopping in an organic market and spotted what appeared to be a green space alien!

After discussing its preparation with the produce expert, I took one home and prepared the BEST slaw EVER!

The memory lingered and if they could be grown in my zone, I was determined to grow some for myself and my friends. (In case you’ve never tasted kohlrabi be prepared for a mild slightly sweet cabbage flavor. )

I ordered seeds from several seed stores with no luck. The seeds would sprout but eventually die from pests or heat. This is my THIRD year trying to grow them.

I planted the seeds outside in a small pot when the ambient air temperature was 70 degrees. They sprouted in 7 days. They were transplanted 30 days later. And bulbed 15 DAYS afterwards! So here I am FINALLY seeing an above-ground bullb 52 days after planting them! :smt041

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Sjoerd, Jewell and carolyn like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Try, try and try again - and it worked for you!! Well done. :smt023

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Aquanette, good for you! Travel, even to the east coast, broadens the mind, and sometimes broadens the "beam". When I found out about Cajun food, my beam broadened considerably, as well as my smile!
    Keep traveling and keep trying!

Sjoerd and Acquanette like this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

I have grown them successfully even here in NE Texas ! Nice baseball size bulbs but it was a few years back ! Mine were in partial shade so a bit cooler and plenty of water ! Mine were in a pot with two plants per pot ! Just big pot !
    I had no idea what to do with them ! How about a recipe ?

6. Acquanette

Acquanette New Seed

Sorry Mart. I’ve been distracted these last few days. I’ve only made “cabbage” slaw with them. A friend’s daughter eats them raw like apples! The produce man at the grocers says they can be served steamed!