Bad Weather

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Green_Numb, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

So this year we have had it a little rough in the weather dept for the are i live in compared to recent past seasons.
    Nothing in comparison to some places the weather hits in the world but for here it was a little unexpected.

First we had this big storm come through 4-5 weeks back with these crazy winds. It took the power for a few days, tore some trees down in the neighborhood, and picked up the trampoline and tossed it into the neighbors yard! heh!

Then we had this other storm come through a couple weeks back, it wasn't as windy but it came with massive hail bigger than what I'd seen in my experience with it. I took a few pics and video at the time as it was passing. My kids thought the house was going to get destroyed and we're a lil freaked out.....with the wife as well not too calm at the time.

I't was quite a sound with the stones loud thud hitting the hollow attic roof. It smashed loads of car windows in the neighborhood including ours and dented up cars pretty bad in the area. Insurance is paying for our broken house windows and a new roof covering.
    Here's a few pics i took of the hailstones.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Green_Numb's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i hope we're done for a bit...

should be sunny here tomorrow.. :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Amazing! Last (and only) time I saw hails in Karachi, was way back in 1984. They were the size of mothballs. I remember my Dog being totally confused over what was going on. She had seen rain before, but hails were something she became very excited about!

Anyway, since that day she developed a craving for things coming out of the freezer - Like ice lollies! She even started to demand that ice cubes be put in her water (a wish which I always complied with)!
    :-D

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm glad our hailstones here in Scotland aren't THAT big!! I think they'd break the glass on my greenhouse if they were. The largest I've seen here are the size of small marbles.

Let's hope you have some nice, warm sunshine from now on.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Wow, those are SOME hailstones! I don't think I've ever seen hail that large. The weather is odd all over...

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Imaging being outside and have those things rain down on you. How long did it last? I hope no one was hurt.

Jerry

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yep, I've seen them that size. Not lately thankgoodness.
    But in years past we had a few storms that left hail stones that size laying around.
    There were reports of some 3-4 inches in diameter north of me last night.

Glad you are all okay from all of that.

8. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

The hail only lasted a few minutes or so but that was enough. Im glad we have storm windows as we would of had glass in the house. I was reading in the local paper and looking at pics of folk that had baseball sized hail here. Yikes! Golf ball size was plenty enough for us.

Its at these unusual events in your life when you really wonder what else you will see..

What was strange is that there were round hailstones and also spiky meteorite looking ones. I cant imagine being hit by any of these sized things. Seeing them bounce off the ground was kinda crazy too..

9. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

amazing pics gn!

10. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Sheesh. That is really something to see.

11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

OMG,..those are huge!,..thankfully we never had hail that big over here,..delighted to read that your insurance covers you.

12. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

We had two hail storms that hit our area pretty hard. It was the same storm track that devastated AL. Took us all weekend to clean up the debris. My hostas were shredded and alot of plants were beaten down but after seeing the damage to AL, we were very lucky.