Banana, water, and lunch break

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by fatbaldguy, May 13, 2014.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

from planting. 40 feet/10 meters of Irish Cobbler potato's. 90 feet/25 meters of White Vienna kohlrabi, 6, 6 foot/2 meter rows of bi-color sweet corn, 20 feet/2+ meters of cukes. All since sun-up. Almost forgot, 2x4 foot section in kale. Sorry don't know how to convert that to metric. Seeded more cabbage in flats for later in the season. I think I deserve a break. 8)

2. Loading...

3. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Wow!
    You've been busy this morning!
    Well done!

Mmmm.. Kohlrabi. How do you like to prepare it?

I have cucumber seedlings ready to plant too. I have heard of people planting 3 cucumber seedlings in a bunch. Are you familiar with that? Should I do that? I don't have rows, I have blocks in my garden since the space is somewhat small.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

FBG, We planted kale on Saturday. It is no longer in the garden. The 6" of rain we got last night washed out 6" worth of top soil from where the kale was and where we planted greenbeans. BUMMER! but it could have been worse, there are areas not far from here with 6" of standing water and other places with many roads washed out. We just have lots of missing top soil and the fist sized limestone is all gone from the machinery driveway...it is now in the neighbors lawn. :eek: . I hope you get yours all in and no bad weather to go along with it.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

FBG, you don't deserve a break, you deserve a medal! All that planting at one fell swoop--amazing!
    My Stetson is off to you.

Advertisement
  6. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Well, Miss Jane, I planted herbs for the missus after lunch. Parsely, Sage, Oregano, Sweet Basil, and Cilantro. Chamomile into one of the beds in front of the house, Oriental Lilies I started in pots, and Peony's yet to move after their bloom is over. After supper out, I'm looking for milkweed to plant on the fence row for the Monarch's.

I am trialing grafted tomato's this year, and 4 varieties I haven't done before, Chef's, Merit, 4th of July, and Tasti. Those have yet to go in the ground, still a bit on the small side. I started them too late. They are hardened off really well though, 8-9 hours of full sun daily in their pots.

Thanks for the kind words. Put yer hat back on 'fore yer sunburnt! :D

7. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Well, we can some sliced like potato's, some get creamed, frozen, and put into soups in the winter, some get eaten raw, and this year, I'm going to attempt to pickle some.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

FBG, 4th of July is a nice salad tomato and grows pretty wild in the greenhouse, but not as much outside, we like them and sell a lot of them.

9. Green Fingers

Green Fingers Seedling

Wow! that's a lot of work in one day. Looking forward to see the pictures soon.

10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

WOw!!! Wish I have that super charged stamina like you!

11. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

FBG, I'm trying to learn different ways to cook them. I always eat them raw. They never make it any further than that!
    My grandmother always equates them with soup. Creamed sounds good, though. I'll have to try that. I'd like to learn how to can too.

12. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

What a lot of work! I'd say you deserve far more than some water and a banana for all that effort! ;)

13. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

You know MIss Ronni, I had to get it all done yesterday. Rain, and wet ground until sometime next week. Now the hillbilly in me get to 'lay around this shack til the mail train comes back'.

14. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Gonna roll in your sweet baby's arms too? ;)