BANANAS SEEDS

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by jbaby7162000, Jun 6, 2006.

1. jbaby7162000

jbaby7162000 New Seed

:rolleyes: can anyone tell me how to plant a banana tree seed,and about how long will it take to germinate? :?: :?:

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think Pinkiered has grown banana seeds. She should be along in a while and I'm sure she'll be able to give you all the advise you need. Sorry I can't help you myself. :(

4. jbaby7162000

jbaby7162000 New Seed

thanks anyways :'(

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

JoJo I managed to find this website for you that tells you how to grow bananas. Not much out there on the net I'm afraid so this was the best I could do. Hope it's the kind of thing you were looking for. :)

http://www.banana.com/farming.html

Advertisement
  6. jbaby7162000

jbaby7162000 New Seed

banana seeds

thanks u so much for the information u sent me to it helped me alots :)

7. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Hi jojo!

Yes I grew some from seeds. It isnt easy but if you really want to grow them, then its worth the trouble.

Heres what I did.

I went and bought a tray of peat pots. I only had 5 seeds so I cut out five of the pots. Using one of my plastic ziplocke containers, I placed the peat pots in there, making sure they were snug so they wouldnt fall over during the growing. I filled each of the peat pots within 2 inches of the top (this is important) with compost and mature mix ( I get mine at Walmart, good stuff). I then added about 1/3 inch of water to the bottom of the containter (not in pots). When the pots were moist to the touch, I used my little pinkie and made a little indention in the c/m mix. I dropped the seed into the indention and gently covered. Then I placed the lid to the container on tightly, locking it. Instant green house!!

I placed them near a window sill that gets partial sun. Dont let the sun stay on the container too long or it will get too hot inside for the little guys but you want it warm. Say about an even 75 degrees. My window sill gets about 2 hours worth of direct sun a day but is sunny for abour 6 so its just about right for all my seeds.

I checked on them every other day. And added the tiniest amount of water to the bottom as needed.

The reason for adding the water from the bottom, is that Ive found that if you water freshly planted seeds from the top, the water will uncover the seeds. And if the seed is the same color of the soil ,you wont know it. Ive just gotten into the habit of watering them (all seeds)from the bottom.

When I saw the first little green sprouts,I uncovered the container, and moved the sprouts to a uncovered ziplocke container, keeping the lid off.These will most like need water once a day. Add from the bottom so you dont uncover the seedling.I also started adding a root hormone to the water to help them grow strong.I gently covered them with another inch of c/m mix.

As they grew taller, I added the last inch of c/m mix to help them stand stronger as they grew. And moved them into more direct sun.

It took one of my seeds almost three weeks to peek out and the other one took almost four. So a wait is in order!

I planted 5 and only two came up. But they grew quick and pupped faster than my other two banana trees.I didnt transplant them from the peat pots or ziplocke containers until I saw roots at the bottom.

Hope this helps! Good luck! Be sure to keep us updated!

8. jbaby7162000

jbaby7162000 New Seed

banana seeds

hello pinkier thanks so much for the information,it sure did help,so i better get busy sowing seeds :-D :-D

9. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Glad I could help. Just holler if you need more help. Great group of ppl here!