Barking dogs at the door..how to stop it..

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Sherry8, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have written about stopping dogs from barking in one of someones posts but I thought I would write here for more to see.

We used to have problems with the dogs (2) barking every time someone came to the door and rang the door bell. It was getting to a point that it was getting ridiculous and too noisy.

We went to Home Depot and checked out their display of door bells. They have the best around in our area. We played with them all because you could listen to them and see what type of noise came from them. We found one that played many different tunes or songs...some were Christmas and just all around enjoyable sounds. Well...nothing to loose so we brought it home and put it up. The one nice thing, no wires..to go from the bell and to the chime in the house...

We love it...it has been about 2 years now and it so peaceful here now because the dogs don't get all hyper when the bell goes off. Some songs they do not even lift their heads...a Miracle for dog owners. You can change the song when you want if the dogs start associating the sound with the door...it works great... So if you have a Home Depot close-by or any other place that has a good selection of door bells...give it a try. :-D

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Logan
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Logan
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I would never have thought of changing a door bell to stop dogs barking. So pleased it's worked for you and that the dogs are now chilled out when someone comes to your door. :-D

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'm quite convinced there is nothing that will stop my dog from barking. She's just a barker ... she doesn't care if someone is at my door or my neighbors door! Thank goodness we live in the country and her barking doesn't bother anyone but me :)

5. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Very interesting. But Lexi barks when a car slows down in front of our house! I don't even have a door bell for that reason. :rolleyes:

Advertisement
  6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

That's a great idea -- how did you ever think to try that?

My last dog, a silly Airedale, used to bark when I said hello answering the phone... just in case it was a visitor at the door, I guess.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That sounds like such a simple but effective idea, Sherry.
    Good tip.

8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It doesn't work with Chance. She likes it and comes when it goes no matter what the song. She thinks any one who comes to the door is coming to see her so move out of the way, please! She doesn't care who it is.
    She usually gets shuffled to another room with a closed door. dooley

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I guess the real reason we tried it is because I didn't like the sound of the doorbell myself...irritating. Now I catch myself not even realizing it is the door bell when the songs come on. It is just the right volume and the songs are catchy. I do sing around the house so maybe the dogs are used to that.

They don't even race to the door anymore....so nice not to have them get excited about the doorbell. Yes, once they see someone walk in the door they get excited but just jumpy not barking. :-D

10. slcdms

slcdms Seedling

We used to have a little dog that would bark the whole time company was here if she did not know them, even shut up in the back room she would bark her head off.
    I think she thought she was protecting us