Basil

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Chris_Moran, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Chris_Moran

Chris_Moran New Seed

Here's a pic of a basil watered using my system for about 3 weeks. (Apologies for photo quality but it is an old scanned pic.)

[​IMG]

The plant was bought in a UK supermarket, was only a few inches high and I believe grown hydroponically. Someone told me that supermarket herbs like this are only put into a small pot with soil\compost because the public are more comfortable and familiar with plants that way? I don't know. Anyway it is possibly one of the reasons why these (confused) plants struggle to survive at home.
    I have a good recipe for fresh pesto if anyone is interested?

Chris

2. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That's one healthy looking basil plant Chris. Well done :smt023 I can definitely see why supermarkets pot up the herbs like this, looks more natural, I guess people are turned off by unfamiliarity :rolleyes:

I definitely would be interested in the pesto recipe. I enjoy pesto very much, most of the time I make some cous cous and mix in some pesto. Very easy and quick to prepare and tastes absolutely wonderful. Looking forward to seeing the recipe in the Recipes and Cooking forum :smt048

3. PeggySuetheStew

PeggySuetheStew Seedling

Chris, that basil is BEAUTIFUL!! What is the trick? A watering system? Do tell more ... The post I put in with a photo of deer in my backyard shows some pathetic looking basil grown on my deck.

And pesto is wonderful! One of my favorites also!

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I can hardly believe that is Basil Chris - mine has NEVER looked like that. It's usually one of those plants I hide from people when they come visiting. :oops: :oops:

5. Chris_Moran

Chris_Moran New Seed

Growing basil like this has become normal for me over the last 5 years. Good news for the kitchen hobby! I've been amazed at the amount of water basil plants use but the secret seems to be lots of but controlled water combined with warmth and light. The controlled water is where my watering system comes into its own. When I watered basil conventionally (but to a fairly strict regime), I achieved reasonable success but eventually the plants would get stalk rot. Not anymore. I have an even better basil picture around somewher which I'll try and dig out and post. 'Will post the recipe shortly.
    Chris