Beans And Potato's

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The broad bean seeds were planted and placed upon the upstairs bedroom's windowsill. The seed potato's were dug out of the crisper drawer in the fridge where they have been put to inhibit the chitting process.
    Now; however, it was time to place the chitting spuds and germinating broad beans out on the balcony to harden them off in preparation for going into the ground. A general "date" we have in mind is the 3-4th week of this month.

Here are our babies:
    zzz1.jpg

I perhaps do not have to say it, but the litre bottles of water is to hold the egg cartons down when the hard winds come...like they are today. When the weather is better, they will be moved forward away from the glass and toward the flower boxes.

We have six types of spud this year. Some are new ones to us and others are tried and true. I am curious how the new ones will produce, and more importantly...taste.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Spuds in egg cartons with water bottles to secure them is pure brilliance! You are so inventive:like:.
    Please tell us the six varieties of potatoes, and how they do for you. We are trying Kinnebec for the first time this year, along with our tried-and-true Red LaSodas and Yukon Golds. I can hardly wait to "dibble" and have fresh baby potatoes for dinner.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello Jane.
    The spuds that we are planting this year are:

Harlequin
    La Ratte d 'Ardeche
    Hansa
    Maris Peer
    Sarpo Kifli
    Linzer
    They'll be ready for a quality control in ~90 days after we plant them.

5. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Wow, I'm trying potatoes (Red) for the first time this year. Wish me luck!

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Hummer, I'm sure you will have good luck with your red potatoes. Just keep them watered, but not soggy; covered with soil so they don't get the green sunburn if exposed to light; and feel free to dibble after 75-80 days. Dibbling is fun--just dig around the potato plant with your fingers, and if you encounter something as big as a golf ball, you can bring it up without digging up the entire plant.
    You are in for a treat! Fresh out-of-the-ground potatoes are very delicious (just steam, add a bit of butter, salt and pepper, and let your taste buds rejoice.)

Gail-Steman and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yeah....sneaking under the potato plants for a looksy and perhaps a "quality control dinner"is such fun...its sort of like panning for gold. I get the same feeling.
    I eat them like Jane...sometimes right on the lottie ! I do not always wait until I get home to eat them, or beans or sweetcorn and the like.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

MG,, Kinnebec potatoes are what I call a pretty potato ! They do not produce as well here as the reds but are an excellent addition to the garden ! Usually they are a nice perfect oval shape with few dings ! At least thats what mine have been ! They are a bit firmer than the reds, slightly buttery taste ! Hubby loves them but I still prefer the reds !

9. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Jane I have to agree with you on this one :like:...never seen it before.
    [​IMG] hummerbum...reds are a good winter spud :like:

Cayuga Morning, Sjoerd and hummerbum like this.
  10. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I like Yukon Golds. I'm going to order some potato bags and plant them in there. I was looking for some red or pink fleshed ones, because I thought my granddaughter would like them, but no one has them anymore. Maybe next year.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Willow, try a TSC if you have one close. they are getting larger varieties of root crops each year. I saw a bunch of stuff there a few weeks ago, that said... I haven't been there for a couple weeks.

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

If Tractor Supply (TSC) doesn't have reds, try a local feed store. I get Red LaSodas at ours every year, and they also carry "white" types. Freshly dug potatoes with the soil washed off and lightly steamed with a little butter--heaven in a peel!

13. Uniquely Elemental

Uniquely Elemental New Seed

I have a few Maris Peer & some Aeron....Pilot, I think. I put them in 2 weeks ago & am keeping an eye on watering . I have red & white onion sets in & a few carrot rows (small - will be sowing successively) & a row of Spinach Beet. I've gambled on Sweet Pea & Sunflower seedlings going out early because I was growing for a community sale, now cancelled. Started x3 types of Runner Beans in pots today & some Dwarf French Beans :)

14. mart

mart Strong Ash

Elemental,, what are dwarf French Bean ?? Is it like a green bean,snap pod type ?

15. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I found a short season watermelon, so my granddaughter and I planted some seeds, inside. We also did pumpkin seeds and bell pepper. Now we're just waiting for the plants to come up and make sure all frosts are behind us so we can plant outside.

16. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Oh! And I found some red and purple potatoes.