Bee Sting relief with DANDELIONS

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by carolyn, Jul 14, 2011.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I just got stung walking through the grass in my bare feet(what a shock, poor bee!) So instead of panicking I looked for the closest dandelion, pulled it out of the ground, hoping for the root part, because it produces copious amounts of sap, and dabbed it on as soon as it formed and then rebroke the root, again, for more sap to do it again. INSTANTLY it relieves the pain of the sting. So if you get stung do try this. I had the bee inspector here just the other day, and my bees were nasty, he got stung many times on his hands, so I pulled out a dandelion and dabbed it on his stings and instantly there was relief for him. So this isn't a fluke remedy. It really does work. He was amazed at how quickly he felt the relief. And I think prickly lettuce would also work if dandelions aren't near. So it is good to cultivate a few of them just for this reason alone.

Jewell, Odif, Jmaca and 1 other person like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Do you think that would work on spider bites too?
    I just realized that Dandelions are scarce around here this year. I know I haven't gotten rid of all of them but am wondering if the drought and heat are the culprit.
    I will have to investigate whether making a salve out of dried dandelion root will work too.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Toni, I truly don't know if it would work on a spider bite, but is truly worth a try! I hate getting them, they itch for such a long time for me.
    You can try the salve, but I don't think it'll be the success that the fresh sap is. Try anything that has a white sap, and you know is safe, such as the lettuce family. even letting your garden lettuce stay in the garden after it is old and bitter is a good plant to keep for the sap.

I think I'll try it on a mosquito bite the next time I have one, which shouldn't be long.

and as for the sting it has been two hours now and I can't even feel it unless I rub my thumb over it and irritate the spot. it is not even red. I had to go out in the sunshine to see the actual sting spot. 8)

Jewell likes this.
  5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Somewhere in some garden there is a dandelion saying, "See, see, see, we are good for something else besides a salad." Maybe next year I will remember your statement and not pull all the dandelions but I will do a queen of hearts on them, "OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!" :)

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'll have to keep that in mind. But I haven't seen a dandelion around here in a very long time.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I tried dandelions on the mosquito bites on Sat. AM when I was picking raspberries and IT WORKED on them, also. The only thing I had to show for them was the dirty spot from the sap that I touched as I was picking, just to see if the spot was swelling, and I made it dirty.

So the moral of this story is CULTIVATE the dandelions for this purpose if nothing else. but they are nutritious and you can make wine from the flowers. Not only can you eat them, now you can wear the sap and look like you are part of the fashionable GARDEN STEW members :D

8. Jerry Sullivan

Oh! This would be a first. Cheryl, would you like some dandelion seeds? :)

Jerry

Odif likes this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Now Jerry, Don't you know you CAN buy dandelion seeds? I saw them myself a few years ago, AND I thought "who in their right mind would grow those things?" now I know. But I would also be willing to share my bounteous crop of seeds in the spring.

10. cherylad

Wonder if it works on fire ant bites???
    Hmmmm.... Carolyn... would you be willing to go stand in a fire ant bed as a test? :D :D
    Jerry... I may have to take you up on that offer of Dandelion seeds. Everyone is going to think I'm nuts for making a special place in the garden just for a "weed"!
    ;)

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

NOT willing!!!! BUT the next time you know someone who gets bit/stung(whatever they do), try it on THEM!!!

IF..... I happened to get bit, I know I would certainly try it on myself.

You just tell them it is a priceless remedy offered up from God!

12. Jerry Sullivan

Goodness Carolyn, they actually sell dandelion seeds :eek:. For $2.74 a package of 100 seeds can be yours. Oh the joy of seeing the seeds germinate. Oh wait.... My dandelion extraction tool would disown me, the garden tools would revolt, my toolshed would lock me out. Do I need a revolution in the back yard? I think not.
    Interesting. For one brief moment it was interesting.........then sanity set in.

Jerry

13. cherylad

will definitely look at Dandelions in a whole new way.
    Thanks for the info Carolyn. It's much appreciated... even though you refused the fire ant test. :D

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, you know, I must be a real wimp! That is just not my kind of thing. Sorry! I know, I know, "no pain no gain".......

15. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Carolyn great info. I will have to do that after I get done picking my raspberries also. We have a bumper crop of mosquitoes. I looked it up some of the other uses for them. They are a power house of vitamins and other herbal uses. The sap also gets rid of warts, moles,
    pimples, calluses, and blisters. You can also eat the roots after you rub it on your bee sting.

16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Wow, Tooty, Some of those things I have never heard of, But they don't surprise me. It is such a lowly plant and has so much value, most of us don't think of it but as a weed.