Begonias

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by carolyn, Apr 4, 2017.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

20170403_142148-1.jpg So I had this plant that I tried to keep over the winter but it died off.... I moved the pot to the greenhouse and left it.... There were knobs left in the soil from the roots. They weren't dead but there didn't seem to be anything to indicate life. I was out there yesterday and here is what I found.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Sjoerd and purpleinopp like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Isn't nature wonderful? I love to see plants that I thought were dead putting out new growth. You must let us see yours again when it flowers for you.

bendee331 likes this.
  4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

In northern climates dormancy is part of the natural cycle of a tuberous begonia, the plant is doing as expected. Planting in well aerated soil with limited water until the it again develops more roots assures a hardy plant for summer. 60 to 70 degrees with filtered light and quarter strength fertilizer as it develops new leaves and flowers will make for another happy plant to enjoy the Ohio summer. Three cheers for summer of flowers. :)

Jerry

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

it was a fibrous begonia... which is why I was so surprised. It was a plant I started from seed last year. I think it was a Bossa Nova variety.

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Oh!! Will wonders never cease! More cheers for the plant and for an enjoyable summer.:) A spunky plant for eking out another season.

Jerry

carolyn likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

20170403_142153-1.jpg This is what the one that hasn't sprouted looks like. Kind of like a potato. Just a brown smooth knob sitting at the surface of the soil. Call me shocked as I did not know they would do this.

purpleinopp likes this.