beneficial nematodes....

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by fatbaldguy, Jul 8, 2018.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

anybody here use them? On the expensive side of things. I've got to find something to use that is effective and cost efficient. I seem to be working closer to 65 hours a week than the 50 I prefer. That doesn't leave a lot of time in the garden.

Been spraying spinosid once a week. Trying to keep things natural and non synthetic. Can't seem to get ahead of the dadgummed Jewel bugs(Japanese Beetles), Asparagus Beetles, and a couple of other minor annoyances.

Thanks for your time and attention.

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

We put them on last Fall. We had a massive cucumber beetles infestation once this Spring and we sprayed them... I am thinking they were the overwintered beetles.i am not seeing the massive amounts of them that we have had in other years.
    Do they work... Scientifically they are supposed to do a fabulous job... But I can't tell you positively that is true. We just haven't used them long enough to see say for certain. I am not seening massive amounts of insect pressure this year but I still see squash bugs! I don't think there is a nuclear solution for them either. They will outlive us all.

Cayuga Morning, 2ofus and fatbaldguy like this.
  3. mart

mart Strong Ash

If you want to stay organic use Sargeants flea and tick spray for cats ! About an ounce to a pint of water for the first spray and less after that for maintenance !

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

mart, sergeants flea and tick spray has permetherin in it...doesn't it? that isn't organic is it? pyrethrins are organic but I think permetherin is a synthetic formulation of pyrethrins

Cayuga Morning likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That is my understanding @carolyn. Pyrethrum is organic, made from chrysanthemums but still toxic to bees if sprayed when they are out.

I used permetheryn on our lawn & shrubs one year because the tick infestation was so bad you couldn't walk on the lawn without picking up 1-2 ticks. It was gross.

I am glad the nematodes might be working for you @carolyn

6. mart

mart Strong Ash

The cat spray has pyrethrin,, the dog spray is permethrin ! Don`t think they have changed it. I use permethrin regularly. It is one of the safest things to use because it takes so little for garden bugs. Its what I spray my horses with and occasionally me if I run out of mosquito spray !
    Pyrethrin is made from chrysanthemums I think.
    Sorry CM didn`t see that part of your post. Oh well,, doesn`t hurt to repeat I guess.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ahhh, just for cats. thanks for that. I have never bought it for cats. that is why I was confused.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Yep !! I think cats can be more sensitive to the permethrin. I have just bought it to use in the garden. Some garden pests can become resistant to one product and I switch to the pyrethrin.