Best compost for seeds

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Coopes, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Coopes

Coopes New Seed

Hi all just wondered what compost people use for seeds, potting compost seems a bit lumpy if you know what I mean.

Cheers

Mark

2. Loading...

3. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I don't use compost when I start the seeds. I use a seed starter that is very light and fluffy, also lacking any nutrients. If the starting soil is too acidic the seedlings will die or not grow at all. Once they are transplanted into the ground I use seashell compost.

4. Coopes

Coopes New Seed

OMG I have such a lot to learn.
    thanks for the reply.

5. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Over here you can buy seed compost, or just regular multi purpose, but seive it. However, I have never worried and just crush it between my hands. Compost with peat in it tends to be a lot fluffier and soft, also almost no nutrient value so a good starter for seeds but I try to avoid using peat based products because of the environmental factors so lean towards organic or just peat free mixes. An old kitchen collander is quite a good make do seive for compost to get out any larger lumps. If I can be bothered to seive my compost, I keep all the chunkier bits in a bucket, then bung them at the bottom of larger pots before potting plants into them.