Better late than never

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Raddang, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

I have admitted in the past that I do not have green fingers. Indoor plants simply do not like me. ;-)
    In October last year, on another forum, a member laid dow a challenge to produce a flowering Amaryllis for Christmas. I decided to join in and purchased a pre potted bulb at the local supermarket.
    I nurtured it, cared for it, watered it and kept it warm. I even talked to it but it was at least 6 weeks before there was any sign of life. Eventually it did start to move and at last I have four splendid blooms, two on each stem.
    It is the Red Lion variety but as the flowers are star shaped and I have taken pictures against a venetian blind, I am calling my pictures "Stars and Stripes" to win favour from friends across the pond. ;);) DSCF4475.JPG DSCF4484.JPG

Islandlife, Kay, 2ofus and 8 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Beautiful!!
    I haven't had an Amaryllis for years, but this year I hope to get one.

2ofus and Raddang like this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well that was well worth waiting for wasn't it? Beautiful!! :smt023

Raddang likes this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

well done. if you can keep it... for years and years... this one is about 25 years old. I have had it for ages. right now it is dormant but is coming back to life soon. 100_1950.JPG

EJ, 2ofus, Sherry8 and 6 others like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What beautiful flowers those are....late or not.

7. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

Carolyn, that is fantastic. Is it really just one bulb? Way to go for me then. :)

8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Raddang, your amaryllis is gorgeous. As others have said, definitely worth waiting for!

Carolyn, ok I am really impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is your secret? Can you give us any tips?

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

it is OOOOLLLLLDDDDD! I have had this for years and years. I just keep it. I didn't have the heart to toss it when it was new and I just keep it. ti is in a huge pot now. maybe 15"? and has developed little side bulbs now. they are about the size of daffodils.

Reddang... it started out as one bulb. it is now 3 large bulbs and a bunch of little ones.
    Pot yours up once the bloom is done or after the foliage dies back... it is in too small of a pot. get it out of the plastic outerpot too. put a saucer under it. if it sits in water it will rot.

10. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

@carolyn Carolyn, others have told me to remove the bulb when the foliage dies back and let it dry out. Then plant afresh in October. Do you leave yours in its pot all year? If I wait until mine dies back, is it OK to cut the dead foliage back to the bulb and then pot it up and leave it?
    As I have said I am a complete novice at these things. ;)

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I never unpot my bulb just repot it. I keep it as green and alive as long as I can. once the foliage dies back I just water it every now and then, but I don't let it dry out. I even fertilize it occasionally...with whatever I have on hand and maybe just some bone meal. the pot mine is in now is stretched out of shape from the growth of the bulbs.

12. mart

mart Strong Ash

For someone that doesn`t have a green thumb,,you must have transferred it to your fingers. That Stars and Stripes is lovely. Good name for an amaryllis. Just follow Carolyns lead and yours will look like hers in a few years.

Raddang likes this.
  13. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Beautiful...I bought a couple a few years ago and the box had the soil pellet (it looked like a hockey puck) and you had to add water to it so it would expand. Well, it did expand but it was also full of bugs after a bit. I am thinking the eggs hatched. I took them and got rid of the whole pot and plant and no more bugs. So it was nice to see some, I think they are beautiful!

14. kate

kate In Flower

I hope I can find one in a local shop. Both raddand’s and Carolyn’s are beauties. I only ever see red, are there any other colors but red is my favorite color.

Thanks for the advice Carolyn, hope I find one.

K

15. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Beautiful, Raddang and Calrolyn! They come in a reds, pinks, and whites, plus stripes, spotted, or edged with a different color. I want to get one of the miniature ones since I have so little space.

16. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I'm going to keep my own amaryllis going for as long as I can. It always amazes me when I see other peoples amaryllis as I've never gotten one to bloom again. I think I'm going to put mine to grow in a different bigger pot than it is in now, not sure if it'll be plastic/ceramic/clay and I'm not sure if I'm going to put it outside to grow (maybe - not made up my mind yet) but will see.

Yours looks super terrific Raddang!