Bi-fold door problem

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by devonpete, Dec 21, 2007.

1. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

I had to fit a bi-fold door to replace the normal door to my bathroom, as it was reducing access - the bathroom is quite narrow.
    The problem I have found is that the lower edge of the door knocks against the doorframe when trying to close it, because pushing the door closed pushes out the lower part of the door. A slide along the base to guide it is not possible as my mother could trip on it.
    Has anyone else had similar problems? Is there a way around it?

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My eldest lad has one of those bi-fold doors leading into his kitchen. I have a feeling he fitted magnets to make sure the door fitted and closed properly Pete but I can't be sure.

4. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

Don't panic Eileen (oh, you weren't, were you :-? ), as I've switched it around. Realising that access was still too limited, it now swings from the other side...and closes with the merest whisper. Sorted.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good to know the problem's solved Pete. Actually I was wrong anyway as the magnets were put on a cupboard door to stop it always swinging open. :oops:
    When I spoke to Duncan he said he'd done exactly the same as you have and his door works fine now too. :stew1: