Big green leafy plant.

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Green_Numb, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

Hi there...

Was gifted this from my mum. She said she didnt have time to keep it up and it hadnt received much attention. She said it was a shade plant but didnt know much about it. I chopped off a bunch of dead stuff from it, you can still see some not too good looking bits on it still.

She also said if i cut it back all the way it would grow back, but i dont want to cut it if i dont have to.

Does anyone know what this could be. I currently have it in a shady spot.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Green_Numb's Garden )

G_N

2. Loading...

3. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi, your plant is an aspidistra which asks for very little care only a shady spot and yes if you cut it down,feed it and it will come back lovely again.....hence the common name...
    cast iron plant.
    There is also a variegated one which is not seen very often.I have some in my garden and they have a small grey/pink flower at ground level which looks like little mushrooms.It is not noticed sometimes and therefore I hear of these plants not flowering,they actually do but not in the expected place.Good luck, dont be afraid of this one!

4. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

hi there, thanks for the reply!

Do you recommend cutting it back ever and how low on the stem would i do this if i did?

G_N

5. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi again, anything that is not nice and green...cut off at ground level,dont worry what it looks like it will definitely come again,it can be rampant in the garden specially in warm climates,keep it in pot till looking good again.....warm and shady...does not need bright light.

6. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

thank for the tips chocolate :)