Bindweed's a problem!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by KathyY, Jul 4, 2012.

1. KathyY

KathyY New Seed

Hello, I'm new to the site and have a question I haven't been able to find an answer to. I live in the country in the Texas Panhandle, surrounded by fields. Bindweed has become a problem and has invaded my daylilies. I tried to "paint" weedkiller on the leaves of the weed, but there are so few nonwindy days here that the weeds are taking over. Is it possible to dig up my lilies, clean out the weed roots and perhaps freeze them (the daylilies)for replanting another season? That way I can try to kill the weeds without harming the flowers? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

My experience with bindweed is that painting it with roundup won't do much good in the long run, only temporary. Don't till it either, as each piece of root you till will grow. If it hasn't spread yet & you can clear out the area, a constant attack of roundup for a season might take care of it. I have been able to control it in my vegetable garden by chopping it off every time it rears it's ugly head religiously. Starving it from the sun seems to be the best strategy in my case.

4. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

when I saw the title I assumed this had to be the name of the weed wrapping its self around my ferns! I am going nuts unwrapping it! they are thread thin almost hard to believe they support their leaves!

5. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

It is hard to get rip of I clip vine. But in burning barrel. I also paint round up extended control. When I first seen it-thought I didn't plant and Morning glories.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have it in one of my gardens and I just keep pulling it as soon as I see it again. I Sometimes dig it as far as I can and toss the "root" in the trash. Just be diligent. Canada Thistles are pretty much the same problem, pull, pull, pull, and once again, pull. The only thing about the thistles is that they do smell fabulous and the finches use them as nesting material, but that is not enough of a reason for me to keep them.

7. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

One of our church member said go noticed had 72 hours to get rid of Thistle in their pasture. Only was not their land.Called neighbor-never did take them out.Dh says they fine farmers if not sprayed. This guy was lucky.

8. KathyY

KathyY New Seed

I appreciate all the help! I'll try to keep it under control as best I can for the rest of this season, but I worry about next year. Can I dig up my daylilies and safely keep them out of the ground next year and return them after an intense fight with the weeds where I don't have to worry about killing them along with the weeds or are they going to be history? I hate that thought as they are so pretty and actually thrive in all this drought and wind.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh dear, I have this thing in my flower garden. It is an annual battle keeping it contained.

I go after it with a trowel and take as much of the root as I can. Of course it is safe in the roots of the plants through which it grows... unless you are willing or able to lift the various plants and manually remove the portion of root that is entwined in them.

I have had it in my flower garden as well as in the veggie patch. it is gone from the veggie patch, but remains in the flowers.

I can totally remove the bindweed from the veggie plot because there are no hindrances and I can just dig and dig until I have it all.

In the flower garden I have a big clean-up every spring when things have not begun to grow and the ground is soft and moist. I literally get yards and yards of this stuff. I never get it all, but I keep it contained to an acceptable level.

When I move or remove plants, I really am aggressive about dealing with the bindweed and sift through as large a circle of ground as possible where the plant came out and if I am keeping the plant, I sort of babtise it by plunging it up and down in a bucket of water until all the dirt and roots are out. Only then, do I transplant it.

The simple answer is, that no matter what you do, it is going to mean work for you.

Frank likes this.
  10. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I have successfully gotten rid of bind weed by spraying it just before it goes dormant for winter with a strong herbicide like Round-up. It has to be as it starts storing up and is no longer actively growing, but still green. For us here it is in the fall. Actually had it gone for about 5 years on the north side of our lot. If it is in the neighbors yard it will be back.

Any other time of the year you might as well work on getting the roots, because that is the only thing that will slow it down.

11. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

Kills All works much better than round up on this ugly weed. I have finally got the upper hand on it using this spray. You cannot win the battle by just pulling it!
    Dig and pot you Daylilies! Do not freeze them. Now go after the bindweed pull it all! Now as soon as you see a new shoot spray it. I keep a spray bottle ready and as soon as I see a baby shoot! I give it a little shot. Takes time and dillagence bet this way you get the new tender shoots and NEVER let it go to seed. Stay with it. After you get it under control you can use preen or something like it to stop new seeds from getting started. Then you can replant you lilies. You cannot win without a killing spray to help. G

12. KathyY

KathyY New Seed

I appreciate being told not to freeze my lilies. I also like the idea of rinsing the roots until I can see all before I repot. I think I will repot later this fall and then really hit the weed with something like Kills All or roundup (whichever I can find in this part of the world). Thanks to all who have responded.