Bird feeder question

Discussion in 'Bird' started by AAnightowl, Aug 10, 2020.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Earlier this summer, I purchased a bird feeder and hung it outside my baby granddaughter's bedroom window so that maybe she could watch the birds when she was being held. That was 6 or more weeks ago. There have been NO BIRDS. I put a different feeder up, the one they are used to in the orchard.

I have all kinds of birds here. Once I counted more than 45 species of birds in and around my yard. I have lots of hummingbirds too, though I have so many flowers on things that they don't eat from the feeders. I put the new feeder in the orchard, and they come to the orchard feeder/s but not the one at her window.

There are trees and shrubs, but not quite close to the house.

It is the usual feed that I buy for them also.

Any ideas?

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Birds take a while to learn where there is a feeder. They also like a place to perch before going to a feeder. We have attached a branch to our platform feeder so the birds can perch, drop down and eat, and then go back up.
    What is the "usual feed"? We have black oil sunflower seed for some birds (on the platform feeder) and a mix of "Wild Bird Seed" for the hanging feeders (this comes from the local grocery).
    Give it time--when the birds get hungry they will come, and they will clean you out!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

It's because it's too near the house and people.

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Dog, that may be some of it, but I have had a window feeder that the birds acclimated to. I bet it is just that it's new & they haven't found it yet. & I agree with MG, they seem to like somewhere where they can perch before landing.

marlingardener likes this.

Advertisement
  6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

People in Birds And Blooms have birds at window feeders all the time, and in other gardening/birding forums. There are some shrubs near by, just not up on the house.

The feed is wild bird seed mix from various stores. My wild birds even like all grain with molasses on it that I feed to my chickens if I am out of bird seed.

Maybe because I have so much flowers and wild things for them to eat also?

I have lots of humming birds, but they seldom visit my feeders since I have so many flowers for their nectar.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

AA, don't you love the sound of the hummingbirds as they zip about? To me it is more of a droning sound rather than a humming sound. Sometimes I think I need to duck my head!

AAnightowl and Sjoerd like this.
  8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Yes. They love the old tree rose of sharon bushes, and the mimosa trees which have so many blooms it keeps lots of hummers happy.

DIL has seen a few birds at the bedroom feeder, and DS has seen some. I have only seen 1 so far. At least they are beginning to come. I am not refilling the orchard feeder for a bit until they come more often to this one.

9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Is there any way you can hang the feeder where the birds are then slowly move it closer and closer to the window once they've found it and are used to it? (My only thought about this)