birdhouse gourds?

Discussion in 'Bird' started by dooley, Nov 19, 2012.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We stopped to see a friend yesterday and she gave me two birdhouse gourds. They are about six inches across and gray. I'm not very artistic so don't think I want to try to paint them. What sort of finish do they need? Do I need to sand them first? We have a hole saw to make the hole. How bid does it need to be? I need to put a perch under the hole, right. I guess then drill a hole at the top for a hanger. How high do they need to hang? I don't have trees in the back yard but have a couple in the front yard. I'll have to go look for branches that will hold them. I'll try to remember to take a picture of them tomorrow.

dooley

2. Loading...

3. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Dh grew them one year. Got 100 from 1 packet. So I have made many.I hang to dry-put eye screw in top. When you hear seeds rattle I drill hole .I wash with bleach water and let dry again.Then paint.I got book that show how to decorate.Has transfer stencil.Some in book-real ART.

4. donm

donm In Flower

I make many bird houses from gourds. I try to make them simple.

I usually paint my gourds a light color. White or cream. Light colors reflect the heat. No perch. Preditors use the perch to get to the babies. I make a 1 and a half inch hole for the blue birds. (any bird smaller than a bluebird can use it, too).

I like red, white, and blue. This gourd I painted puzzle pieces on it. You can see the birds are making a nest in it. Some of their nesting material is hanging out of the hole.

[​IMG]
    Don

Frank, Netty, Henry Johnson and 2 others like this.
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That turned out fantastic donm!
    I tried to grow them one year and failed miserably. I think I'll try again this year...maybe plant them in the compost pile :)

Advertisement
  6. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Not a real good picture But has heart and stamp on stencil. Says"when I think of You a Tear comes to my eye" For sister who was killed in accident. You can copy people's picture and transfer it to gourds

[​IMG]

Donna S likes this.
  7. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

gourds

Remember to drill a small hole for rainwater drainage if you hang the gourd outside and not under a roof, etc. Using a good thick enamel will keep the nest dryer longer.

8. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I also got some glue from dentist I clean for and glued a Porch on some I gave as gifts. Or made for our church auction. Doc said to wear good gloves.And to make I get it Right The first time-I would not get a second chance.

9. Hanbury House

Hanbury House New Seed

Those are really cute. My daughter has been wanting to grow some. Maybe we will try next spring. Thank you everyone for the tips.

10. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I got some rub on stencils.Going to make one customer one for Christmas.Better get busy.Seen whee I can buy more different seeds.Like ones for dippers/