Birds in my garden...October 6.....

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Sherry8, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

[​IMG]Sparrow resting in the tree...

[​IMG]Blue jay isn't sure if he should grab that peanut or not!

[​IMG]It looked too good to pass up!

[​IMG]That has to be one large peanut or maybe two?

[​IMG]It is one large peanut, this picture was taken before the other....

[​IMG]Here he is pounding the shell to get the peanut out on the side of the tray feeder...

[​IMG]Here the House finches found my new sunflower seed feeder..

[​IMG]Mourning Doves having a little drink...

2. Loading...

3. playtime8978

playtime8978 In Flower

What beautiful pictures, I so love to see the birds, thank you for sharing them with us.

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Those photos are so fantastic.The Blue Jay is so comical to watch.They are very bad here but I still like them and do think they are so pretty.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

They are all adorable, little feathery creatures! You are so kind to share them with us, Sherry. :D

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I love the shot of the blue jay with the peanut sticking out of its mouth. He looks as they he's wearing ear muffs!! LOL

7. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Heya' 'bird lady'...more beautiful pictures. Thanks so much for sharing them. ;)

8. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

What great photos, I love the blue jay. Also like your sunflower feeder. How come we can't seem to find any over here in the UK, or am I just not looking in the right places :-?

9. petunia

petunia Young Pine

wonderful bird picts. The blue jays are so pretty. But I like the doves on the bird bath.

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

How nice to have so many different birds in your yard Sherry! :)

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sparrows, jays, finches and doves....you've done it again Sherry. Lovely, lovely fotos.
    I enjoy your wildlife fotos so much.

12. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Great shots once again. You sure have a lot of Jays at your feeders...do they chase the others away?

I was lucky enough to see a GREAT HORNED OWL on my windsock pole the other evening right at dusk. He sat there for over 5 minutes, but it was too dark to attempt a picture. Really an awesome sight! The next morning, my neighbor found a rabbit carcass on his lawn. I'll be happy if the owls stick around to get rid of the surplus population of rabbits before winter sets in...the rabbits have damaged so many of my plants in past years. Happy birding!

13. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Kaseylib.....no the Blue Jays do not cause problems here. It is the mourning doves that chase every other bird off of the tray feeder...one thinks she owns the tray...if I notice her, I let her eat for a while and then chase her off. I have only had a handful of black birds or grackles lately...I am sure they will come and then they are the aggressive ones.

The same thing happens with the Cardinal here...comes so early or late and then I can't get a decent picture...but I will keep trying..and when they do come during the day the mourning doves puff up and chase them off.

Rabbits are a problem here too...I plan on leaving the spirea bushes uncovered so they just eat those and not much else...it still bothers me when they chew them to the ground...

Gardengirl...do you mean you can't find sunflower feeders where you live or do you mean Blue Jays?

14. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

No Sherry, I mean I can't find such a nice sunflower feeder as you have. I just love that little green pot. It looks lovely with the little house finches on it.

15. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I bought the little green feeder through the mail, Gardener's supply company. 1 888-833-1412. Item #36-790. MINI GLOBE FEEDERS, set of 3 for 18.00 plus shipping.
    One thing about them, they need something large in them like sunflower seeds, not thistle or sunflower chips because they fall out...I wish they had smaller holes in them.

Just in case you want to look at them on the internet.

I might use one in the front yard on the tree I can see when I am on the computer...I thought I would start in the winter months but I am not sure I want to walk through all the snow to fill it.

16. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Thanks for the information Sherry. I have had a look at them. They are really pretty. I have not bought anything from the States via the internet. I should think the P/P would be quite expensive.