Birthday Chat

Discussion in 'Birthdays & Anniversaries' started by Sjoerd, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Birthdays are usually not an exciting thing here. Normally on one’s birthday the birthday person gets a few fone calls and the nearest and dearest come by for some tart and coffee or tea...and that’s it—birthday over...done and dusted—on to the next one. Birthday norm here dictates that the person, who is having the birthday, treats...so no one brings cakes or bottles of drink. The birthday person stocks-up with food and drink and waits...or invites a small group for chat and goodies. Here, the Bride does absolutely nothing for her birthday, but I always invite a hand full of friends and family for mine—about six people, I keep it very intimate.

Now then; the day before my birthday, my Bride presented me with a bouquet of red and white roses. Our colours are red and white, you see. They are splendid and one of the rose types actually has a fragrance.
    zz9.jpg

The next day my Bride said that she had made an arrangement for me. My eyes widened in surprise and I said. “What”?!

She said, "Yes, you heard me...I have made an arrangement".

“Oh, I am interested. What have you gone and done, then?”, I queried.

“Well”, she said...”We know that you like Spain, right”?

--I nod--

“You are fond of the Alhambra?”

--I nod--

I then said, “You know I am, and we had a wonderful year in Granada, back then”.

“So, there is a do called, The Alhambra Revisited with slides, a storyteller, music, food and tea”, she cleverly laid-out.

“How much does it cost?”, I asked without thinking.

“Oh, I am treating, don’t you worry”.

“Mmmmmm”, I said with a tone of non-belief. ” I’ll sign on for this then”.

When we arrived, we entered and there was the ticket-seller immediately before us asking for money. I turned to the Bride, and said, “Pay the man”.

She stood still and I recalled to her---“You said that you were going to pay”.

She piped-up saying—“Yes, you give me the money and I am going to pay”.

--Eye roll--

“Oh this is out of order”, I protested.

“No, I think that you’ll find that it’s the only order on offer”, she quipped.
    I mumbled..."What'r you loik".

I mean, what do you do with a person like that!? –blank look--

We went inside and there where we hung our raps, was a table with mint tea waiting for the guests. Progressing, we entered the small hall which was filled to the seams with a preponderance of pensionados chattering and shaking their heads knowingly up and down...most had been to the Alhambra you see, and of course had to let others know.

We nestled down in one of the back rows and the lady next to me immediately struck up a conversation, informing us that she and her man had recently visited the Alhambra. They were completely and suitably impressed with this jewel of Moorish history in Spain and predicted that a very interesting presentation would be forthcoming.

Soon enough the speaker called our boisterous group to order and introduced himself and explained how the presentation would work: A side show presentation, a storyteller would tell us a couple of stories and there would be musical accompaniment-- instrumental songs as well as songs with singing. The musici were Christian, Jewish and Muslim---the ethnic make-up of the inhabitants of Granada back in the day.

Here is a link with a ±3 minute trailer:

When the program ended, we emerged from the steamy-warm confines of the hall into a street where the sinking sun weepingly shone and there was a very chilly western wind blowing. We ambled down the narrow street to the centre of town and on to the appointed restaurant. It had; in the meantime, begun to mist rain so we tapped on the restaurant door and asked if we could come in and sit until they opened. Yes--a restaurant was on the program (I got to choose which restaurant.There was only ten minutes to go until the hour of our reservation. They agreed and we slithered in and back to our table.

The meal was really tasty and we chatted about this and that throughout. The inside was dimish with soft, romantic lighting.

After eating, we had to get a wriggle on to get back home in time to lay stuff out for the party guests. We had it all stalled out with a general plan of offering—Begin with coffee/tea and tarts, followed by salty things and jus d’orange, cranberry juice, alcohol or cola. There were then rounds of filled dipped crackers, sausages, and cheese ...and more salty things. Finally, the warmed morsels were offered. Before we would end the evening with the last tea or coffee...the guests were full and yawning. They were ready to head home.

When they were all gone, we cleaned up immediately, filled the dishwasher and got into our jammies...it had gotten to be 02.30 by that time. We sat down with our tablets to unwind before heading off to bed. What a day it had been...I loved every minute of it.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  2. Loading...

3. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Sjored this made me laugh and glad you finally enjoyed it, it sounded wonderful and best behaviour next time :whistling:
    this bit reminded me off being at school (Soon enough the speaker called our boisterous group to order)

Celebrations here sjoerd are terrible [​IMG]hubby won't have cards or presents at any time of the year...mind you he never neglects me :sete_056:

Kminster and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yeah GAIL--That Bride of mine is a real card. I can understand your hubby not going for parties. The Bride is exactly the same. I said "understand", but actually I should say, "recognize" the trait. It's oké though, we know eachother's likes and dislikes by now. chuckle.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've only just read your birthday tale Sjoerd. I had to roll my eyes and laugh at your bride's comment as it sounds just like my daughter. She'll come over for a visit and tell me she's going to take me out for lunch - which she does. She drives me to the restaurant!! However, when it comes to paying the bill - well you've guessed it - it's me that ends up paying. :rolleyes: Do I mind? Not a bit as it's just great to see her and we do so enjoy each other's company.
    So glad you enjoyed your day to the full. :)

Gail-Steman and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much Eileen. I had a feeling that that scene would be familiar to some folks. hahaha.
    We did have a really good day. Usually we do not do too much special on my b'day and nothing at all on the Bride's. Well, she gets some special flowers, not the usual weekly ones. It is wonderful that you have such a good rapport with your wee lass.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sjoerd, sounds like you had a grand time.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Carolyn--I truly did have a grand time. Thanks.
    Is it cold there still?

Gail-Steman likes this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

cold. yesterday was 6 today is supposed to be much warmer (LOL) at 20f. and moving up to the 50's at the beginning of the week. what a swing. my gutters are full of ice. I will be glad when this is all melted.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Burrrrrrrr.
    At least it is beginning to thaw here now. We went to the market today and it wasn't too bad outside.

Gail-Steman likes this.