Boy do I feel older

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by toni, May 27, 2018.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Our youngest grandson (and last grandchild) graduated from high school yesterday. I used to call him thunder-thighs when we was very small, those chubby little legs could certainly get him around in a hurry. He is now 6 feet tall, becoming a very accomplished actor in the local theater. He will play Monsieur Thénardier in a production of the musical version of Les Mis this fall.

Jewell, Cayuga Morning and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

3. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

We are starting to feel old, Marks daughter Elly is 23 and about to start full time work as a fully qualified teacher, our baby girl Jessica is 19 and has just finished her first year at uni studying law and my baby James is nearly 18, learning to drive, doing his a levels, thinking about university! My goodness, I can close my eyes and I am rocking Jessica in my arms when she was properly ill as a baby or I’m sitting at the allotment watching my little boy playing dinosaurs in the ditch. Time flies.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My eldest son is going to turn 46 on the 1st June and my youngest is 35!! Oh boy do I feel old.

5. toni

I purposely try not to think about how old my oldest daughter is (mother of the two boys) suddenly I feel ancient (she turns 51 on June 9) my youngest daughter will be 31 on June 30.

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

My oldest was born in Aug. 1962, next one in 1964 and youngest in 1967. That makes the youngest 51 in September. The oldest will be 56 in August and the middle one will be 54 in October. I was 77 in January. Our oldest grandchild was 22 this year and the youngest is 9. In between is one 14 and one 18. There are two step-grandchildren but we accepted them as grandchildren and discarded the step part. They both call me grandma. I'm getting older every day but you are only as old as you feel. Some days I do feel old but most days I don't even think about it. dooley

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

No, no, no! All your children, grandchildren, even great grands are so darned lucky to have active, interesting, intelligent, and loving relatives. Every child should be so blessed. Be proud of your accomplishments, your experience, and having two loving arms to wrap around all those youngsters!

8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I know how y'all feel! My oldest child is 45, youngest is 29 (15 years between my first and last, with 3 in the middle!) My oldest grandchild is 14, youngest will turn 2 in July. Two of my kids still haven't produced any offspring, both want to, so I'm thinking I'll still be having grandkids when the great grandchildren start to arrive!!!

Most days I don't think about my age,and don't feel my age. Some days I do of course...typically after one of my adventures when I've been doing a lot of physical stuff, and so I'm a bit creaky (and sometimes a bit hungover lol!!) but continued movement solves that!

Toni, that's certainly a milestone having your last grandchild graduate high school! I guess now your next goal will be to watch your first great-grandchild graduate, eh? :like::D

9. toni

My two girls are 20 years, 21 days apart with no one between them.
    I guess it's not so much feeling older than it is Holy C*** where did all those years go????
    My youngest daughter has no intention of having kids or even a husband and my oldest grandson (23 yrs old) and his sweetie are not the least interested in having kids for a few years. I plan on living to be at least 100 so they do have time to get things going.

Ronni likes this.
  10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I totally relate to this!!! It happens to me constantly! Where did the time go? It's like I blink, and my youngest infant grand baby is almost two!!! I blink again and it's suddenly the middle of the year! I mean, seriously, didn't we just celebrate Christmas like, last week sometime??? :eek:

The older I've gotten the faster time seems to fly. It's very disconcerting. But y'know it's also made me really begin to savor every day too. The time is passing so quickly that I don't want to miss any day and whatever pleasures or joys it will bring by just kind of ignoring it because I'm waiting impatiently for a future day when I'm going on vacation or it's some seasonal thing that I really enjoy or I'm hoping for some special thing to happen later in the year. That kind of thinking is when time escapes me the fastest! So I try and savor every day, and live intentionally and with thought all the time.

You'd think that would be easy, but it isn't for me! It takes some discipline on my part to actually live that way! I'm very much a work in progress, but I'm trying. ;)

Hey, thanks for this post toni. Much food for thought here! :heart:

Frank likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Dear, oh dear, oh dear---where does the time go.

12. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

Age is only a number.

13. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well I've not long gone 50 and the neighbour next door is in her 90s and seems more active...it's the old bones I say :smt100

14. 20somethinggardener

20somethinggardener New Seed

If it’s any consolation, I recently dropped off my little sister at college (though she’s technically my boyfriend’s little sister, we never make the distinction), and while walking around the campus someone had the audacity to say that I was old at twenty-two lol.

I think being called old is relative. Remember telling kids you’d babysat or the like that you were 16, and they looked at you like you were 100?

I have to say, I’d love to hear what you all were up to at my age...probably not focusing on gardening advice like I am!

15. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

I was working hard in a factory all day doing piece work and then go home and help my mom do jobs in the home as both they worked but my other two sisters would do nothing and then some nights go out and enjoy myself with my mates from work :whistling:….the gardening was done weekends but I did enjoy it :)

16. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I was in my second last year of college, preparing to launch GardenStew three years later (although I didn't know that at the time :whistling:)

Gail-Steman likes this.