Breaktime!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I had been working for hours on my hands and knees cleaning the flower plots.

In the course of cleaning the flower garden and ridding the plots of Forget-me-nots plot by plot, The ground gets loosened and a bit of cow manure placed.
    When the ground beneath the weeds and dying plants is revealed, one discovers all sorts of things.

Here is a beautiful egg shell deposited by some parent far from it's nest. Can any of you guys recognize it?
    [​IMG]

I didn't notice this immediately, but after a rain and the soil was washed-away this old pipe bowl was exposed. It is 17th or 18th century. I just left it where it was, as I have already removed so many bowls and pipe stem bits.
    [​IMG]

I took a stroll up towards to Netty's garden to stretch my legs a bit from all that sitting on my knees, and what to my wondering eye should appear--
    [​IMG]

She had put up a scarecrow. personally I find it waaaay too pretty to put out in the elements like that, but ach...that's her decision.
    A close-up of the cute face:
    [​IMG]

When I got back, I went over to inspect the strawbs (an excuse actually to see if there was one that might need a quality control...'know waddah mean?
    CHOMP!
    [​IMG]

I really do have to give this one a 10 out of 10. Sweet, juicy and red all the way through. Mercy, y'all!

Just then, I looked up to see what that smacking sound was coming from over by the sloot (little canal).
    [​IMG]

At first I shocked myself thinking that it was ME that was doing all that smacking. hahaha. However, it was this big swan eating duckweed.

Finally, I had another look at those lovely poppies and saw that there were more open now.
    [​IMG]

So, that was a bit of a break for me, but now it's back to work.

2. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Isn't nature grand! Lovely poppies. I don't know what type of egg that is, but it has lovely coloring.

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your eggshell looks like a Blackbirds Sjoerd. The whiter shell appears to be maybe a Blue Tit or Great Tit.
    Your strawberry looks luscious and I can almost taste it from here.

I love the colour of your poppies and would certainly have them growing here if I could find them. :-D

I hope you don't suffer from too many aching muscles after ll that hard work.

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Lots of hard work brings great rewards... and you sure earned all of these! I can almost taste that strawberry! Mine are just tiny little things.

Advertisement
  5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Oh yeah... and I agree... Netty's Scarecrow is too cute!

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks GAIL-- I really like them as well.

EILEEN--Yes, blackbird. That could well be it. The smaller white piece is the inside of the end of the egg shell.
    Oh that strawberry WAS delicious. MMMMMM.
    I picked another four liter buckets full today. I have been eating them every day :oops:
    I don't guess that those poppies exist as a sub-race apart. I think they are just a wild mixture.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I love finding treasure in the garden Sjoerd! My father and I once found an old Indian arrowhead in our veggie patch.
    Those Poppies are gorgeous :D

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hi Netty--I'm glad you liked the posting. Wasn't that feeling a good one when you discovered an old artifact in the soil like that.
    I always enjoy coming upon old brokem bits of pottery, pipe bits and old metal things...it's an added aspect of gordening.
    Because the area where I garden was once a bog, I always wonder if I might unearth human remains like that chap in Denmark. hahaha. Not likely, but our gardening complex is adjacent to the area outside my town known as "de Galg" , or the place where convicted people were hung. It literally means, "the gallows".

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Sojerd that strawberry is really making my mouth water, wish I can plant them here!!! :p

I don't enjoy digging up bits of old bricks, wires, glasses and metal thingy because those were the very same things that was dumped there when I renovated the house 20+ years ago to level the land. :D

10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Now I'm not talking to you. I was going to say that the scarecrow was very cute, the swan lovely, the eggshells adorable, but when I saw the strawberry I just got too envious. :D

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks KK--Is it too hot to grow strawbs there?...or is it the soil?

DROOPY--Hee hee hee :snicker:
    Oh me, oh my, now I've gone and done it, haven't I!
    I am having a glut this year. Should I send some up? :D

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

KK-- what sort of bricks and things would you dig up in your yard? Are all those things modern bits of rubble?

13. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

The gallows? Jeepers. I dont' know what to say about that. Shivers.

Your poppies are pretty awesome.

Since this is my childhood yard, I sometimes find little things we lost long ago: a spoon or two, pieces of toys, a couple of old coke bottles, various springs and bolts... Someday someone may find the things I seem to lose every day too. This year, I have lost 1 utility knife and a very nice spool of garden twine, not even opened!

14. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

great pics sjoerd! now i want to make a scarecrow! :D

our strawberries are starting to turn too...yum! :D

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for reading the posting, DAISY--Yes the Gallows place is a bit creepy. There is a small red stone in the centrum of the old toewn called "the Red Stone". It is where the Spanish beheaded dissidents and I believe some executions were carried out there by the dutch themselves. Those were the wild days.
    I am glad you like those poppies, I am rather taken with them myself.
    You are leaving behind archaeology for others aren't you? Who knows what else you'll loose this year.

Glad you liked the pics and scarecrow, BUNKIE. I would like to see some of your strawbs.