brown streaks in lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by duk748, Apr 1, 2007.

1. duk748

duk748 New Seed

hello & hope all is well w/ everyone - small question -
    it is the last of march here in ohio & i have just applied my 1st fertilizer app to my kentuckey bluegrass - i applied my winter app in oct of last year - i am very fussy about my lawn & it seems that the grass of my neighbors who do not do anything to their lawns is now greener then mine - it just seems a bit slow getting going so far or am i just in too much of a hurry to want it to turn green - we have had a hard winter here this year & i just want to be sure it has not damaged my lawn or it has some type of disease
    i always use a slow release in the spring so as not to have the root system grow to fast - any help would be appreciated - thank you - not uch rain as of yet either here in ohio

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hello there Duk748. :-D

It sounds as though your neighbour may have started fertilizing their grass before you with a fast release product. I don't think you've done anything wrong it will just take time to green up. You could try giving it a watering every day though if you haven't had much rain lately - that should speed thing up a bit. Also have you areating your lawn? this would allow the grass to grow quicker.

4. duk748

duk748 New Seed

hello again & thank you for the reply - no - my neighbors have done nothing nor do they do much of anything to thier lawns all year round - my sod is only 2 years old & i am very fearful of losing it -
    we are due to have another cold snap here this week w/ temps in the 30's again - i will try to fertilize again before this happens - once again i thank you

5. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

I don't grow Kentucky bluegrass, it isn't suited to my climate,
    but I wonder if you may be fertilizing too early in the season?

I found the following maintenance schedule atthis site.
    I see that the first recommended fertilization is in May.
    I realize that this schedule was developed for Ill rather than Ohio,
    but it may still apply?

I know that for many plants, early fertilization encourages tender growth
    which tends to be highly susceptible to late frosts,
    and even some cool weather fungal diseases.

Just a thought.

6. duk748

duk748 New Seed

hello again & thank you also - i used a slow release fertilizer due to what you have posted - thank you for the play-by-play - i will print this & keep it handy - i have always been told that to fast a green up will cause the root system to become weak later in the season & leave the lawn open for disease
    just want to be sure nothing is wrong