Brrr! What happened to fall?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Last week at this time it was in the mid 70's. Suddenly, BAM!!

45619125_2100666229954906_4698854540068257792_n.jpg

Gail-Steman likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Ronni come and live here mate, you'll soon know what temperature drop is :setc_074:...it won't be long before the gas bill drops through the door, the rads have been on since late September,

Ronni likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

we have 2-5 inches forecasted at the beginning of this week.:eek: I don't ever remember measurable snow in Nov. this morning we woke up to white and county plows salting the roads. we had no Fall. I am already not excited for the season.

Gail-Steman and Ronni like this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, I can send you some autumn if you want!
    We woke up to 42 degrees,and by 8:15 a.m. I was out picking lettuces, bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes with very cold hands. We are watching the weather forecasts to see if we need to pick everything that looks like it might ripen, or if we can leave the produce on the plants.
    If we get any snow this winter, you'll be able to hear the cries of grief from Texas all the way to Ohio. The local predictions are for a warmer, wetter winter than usual. If the local meteorologists are wrong, they may want to move out of the area!

Gail-Steman and Ronni like this.

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It was 20 degrees when we go up but there was some sunshine. It was 27 degrees at 3:30 this afternoon and the sun had disappeared and the wind was picking up some. It may snow some tonight, it said one to three inches. I think fall went somewhere else and we are beginning to have winter. There is still snow from yesterday morning on the ground. Wisconsin does have quite a lot of snow during it's winter but it doesn't usually come this long before December. dooley

Gail-Steman likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

please send it asap and postage due. I will be happy to pay it. 23° is the forecast for tonight. 21° and 20° Tue/Wed nights.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

28 degrees here this morning ! Where is fall ? That was last week !

Gail-Steman likes this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

same here Mart... One day of Fall this year.

10. mart

mart Strong Ash

Texas never has all 4 seasons ! Good thing is winter is usually mild ! About once every 10 years or so we have a really cold one !

Gail-Steman likes this.
  11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The opposite happens here Mart. Every 10 years or so we have a mild winter but it's usually well below zero each year.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  12. mart

mart Strong Ash

Brrr,, Thats cold !

Gail-Steman likes this.
  13. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

I totally agree Eileen and i'm dreading it :(

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

we normally have 4 seasons and Fall is not my favorite as I know its getting colder and the white stuff will be coming soon... but the last couple years have been sad Fall colors or temperatures. this year we went from hot to cold and damp.:smt089:smt089:smt089

Gail-Steman likes this.
  15. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Carolyn i'll :crying: with you if you don't mind ;)

carolyn likes this.
  16. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I shall have to pull rank here :D.....Having been born in Texas and lived here all but about 10 of my 72 years I can remember many winters with snow on the ground here in north Texas and sometimes in far south Texas too and I remember all four seasons happening in proper order through most of my life.

We had many snow days in the 50s-60s, actually a "snow day" back then was when Moms said "I am not driving in this weather" and we got to stay home from school. In high school I was on the Drill Team (we performed during half time at high school football games) and the short skirts in October and November every year of high school in the mid 1960s made for very cold nights at the football stadium.

I didn't live in Texas very much between 1967 - 1976 but my Mom would keep me informed about the winter here....she loved snow too!.

We did not have continuous winter weather every year but we did have cold, ice and snow for part of almost every winter. Along with the typical Winter temps in the 30-50 degree range, we had snow on the ground on Christmas day in 1976 and again on New Years day 1977. We had snow every Saturday in February in 1978 and New Years Eve 1978 into the early morning of 1979 the streets had 3 inches of ice under a few inches of snow.....Randy and I were dating and he had pre-ordered a pressed duck dinner at a local Chinese restaurant for us and another couple. We picked up the other couple and except for the family who owned the restaurant we were the only customers there that night.
    In 1983 we had 14 days straight of below freezing temps with the high never reaching warmer than 29 degrees.
    In the last 30 years we have had fewer and fewer real Winter events. Some recent years Winter have been 2-5 days in January and then Spring and Summer temps take over.
    In 1988 we had 6 inches of snow on the ground for almost 2 weeks in March.
    Had another streak of below freezing days in 1989, snow on the streets and ground for about 2 weeks in late Winter.
    And like I said, those are just the highlights, the rest of the days of winter in those years we had to wear big coats, hats and gloves like other parts of the country.

In the pro football season, the Cowboys always play a foot ball game on Thanksgiving day in Dallas and in 1993 they played the Miami Dolphins in what has been not so lovingly referred to as the Ice Bowl.

Really cold winters do not happen every year now, but they used to until sometime in the last 25 years when winter started becoming a season in name only.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Gail-Steman likes this.