Buddha Palm Plant

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Twin, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Twin

Twin New Seed

Has anyone ever heard of a Buddha Palm Plant. I went on the internet for info. but could not find anything. I want to learn how to take care of this plant.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. MyOfficeJungle
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. purpleinopp
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Twin, welcome to the Stew.

Sorry, but I couldn't find anything about it either.
    Anyway you could get the Latin name, sometimes plants have many different common names depending on which country you are in or even which city.

Hope you decide to stay with us. Why not post an intro of yourself in the Welcome to GardenStew forum so we can get to know you.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

5. member2504

member2504 New Seed

Hi Twin,
    I have just bought a Budda Palm Seed. It looks like an egg covered with roots but is a little bigger than an egg. How do I plant it, did you find out anything about how to care for them? I couldnt find anything but your post.

Advertisement
  6. mellonmellow

mellonmellow New Seed

This seems to be a rare plant. I've never heard of it and the internet isn't turning up much. Does it go by another name?

7. member2504

member2504 New Seed

Buddah Palm Plant

I don't know of any other name, but i don't think, it is very rare, because in Amsterdam, where i bought it, nearly every Flowerseller sold them for about 3-4 Euro.
    The Seed is Dry when you buy it, and they told me to put it into water until it grows and then plant it. It is in a bowl of water for one week now, and I just wanted to find out what i am going to do when I planted it. I send you a picture when i can, maybe it is something really "normal"

8. Rabbit

Rabbit New Seed

I have heard of Bodhi plant(tree) which is related to buddha gaining enlightenment under such tree. The plants are seen growing, unattended, in every nooks and crannies. They require bright light and can even become a tree from the fissue of a rooftop or building cracks. Not sure whether the topic discussed here is related to such plant. :-D

9. member2504

member2504 New Seed

Hi Twin.
    I have just found out what I was looking for! It was sold to me as Buddha palm seed in AMsterdam, but i found out, that it is actually a Cerbera odollam, Cerbera manghas from the family Apocynaceae. It grows like a tree with white petals and poisonous fruits.
    http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/cerbera_odollam.htm

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

11. desertflower

desertflower Seedling

pic of buddha belly plant..

[​IMG]

12. grahamball

grahamball New Seed

Thanks - you found my Budha Palm

Jess1310 from Munich has identified the seed they sell in Amsterdam as a Buddha Palm - many thanks. I would be interested to hear how you go on with the seed as I have had one for 6 weeks now and it still hasn't sprouted. Having read the link, I suspect it is too cold here in England to be grown outdoors at this time of year (or at least get it to sprout), so will try it inside the house.

13. mary363

mary363 New Seed

gout or buddha plant

It is a tropical. Loves full sun. Drought tolerant. Rare. Seed pods explode and they can be thrown up to 10 feet away. Seed pods should be left on plant to save them I take a piece of old panty hose and tie it loosely above and below the pods with the pods inside. Very poisonous if ingested.

14. quiltgirl131

quiltgirl131 New Seed

maybe buddha's hand?

i saw this plant at a friends house yesterday. it has a glossy heart shaped leaf on a long stem. can be planted in a pond. likes lots of water. could this be what you have?

Detailed information on Hooded Dwarf Elephant Ear, Chinese Taro, Buddha's Hand Alocasia cucullata

15. greenhub

greenhub New Seed

i saw these kind of palms and it looks great... i thinking of adding it to my collection... saving up to go on a trip and of course try to hunt some plants for my collection

16. Vancouver-Interior-Design

Vancouver-Interior-Design New Seed

Link to a Buddha Palm store?

HI,

I too have searched the internet and did not find a Buddha palm species. Perhaps the buddha palm is a brand name?

Barbara.