Bumper crop of eggplant!

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by mart, Jun 19, 2017.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

Anyone have any good recipes ? I am running out of ideas.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Philip Nulty likes this.
  3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Thanks Eileen ! Will check them out now. Just took 4 eggplant to a neighbor and another load to go tomorrow. Plus the three I have in the fridge and more to pick. Seems eggplants love the rain we have had.

4. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Mart can I have some? I love eggplant, the best way I like it is just a very simple pan fry.

Cut the eggplant into slices of about 1cm thick. Just slice it into discs. crush a couple of pips of garlic. Heat up some oil (best to use lard) to saute the garlic. When the garlic is nice and fragrant drop in the eggplant. Stir fry until eggplant is soft. While stir frying add soya sauce and if need be add some water. Yum!!! It's delicious.

Here is a link to a slightly more ingredient method - http://ohsnapletseat.com/2013/12/02/easy-chinese-eggplant-with-garlic-sauce/

Another thing you can do is pickle it.

Enjoy :)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017

Advertisement
  5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I like aubergine caviar.

Bake whole in the oven until soft.
    When they are cooked, take out the flesh. Afterwards in a bowl mix the aubergine with grapefruit juice (or lemon juice).
    Mix in crushed garlic and crushed coriander seeds. Add salt and pepper and a bit of olive oil. Work in with a fork until smooth. This makes a good dip or spread it on toast. It will keep in the fridge for a few days.

6. mart

mart Strong Ash

If you were here KK I would load you up with eggplant !
    Mmm,, Both of those sound good ! I usually just pan fry it but I have not tried it with the garlic sauce. Is there a recipe for pickling eggplant ? Thats another new one

Just picked another two so may try the dip, Odif. How much coriander do you use ? Will pick some up today. Its not one of my regular spices.

7. Odif

Odif Young Pine

About 1 tablespoon of fresh coriander or a heaped teaspoon of dried coriander seeds. You can also use fresh basil instead of coriander. 1 clove of garlic and a couple of tablespoons of of olive oil. Lemon juice can replace grapefruit juice. Cook the aubergine till it goes all mushy. You could also use a mixer.

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I'm sorry Mart I have not pickled eggplant before. I had some in Japan and I liked it and was thinking of pickling some when my plant start to bear fruits. I just googled it and there are quite a number of ways to pickle eggplant. :)
    Good Luck!

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Tried the eggplant with garlic !! Sauteed onion and added the garlic, then the eggplant ! Sauteed all together and sprinkled cornmeal over the top 5 min. before it was done. Flipped it over and sprinkled the other side, let both brown lightly. It was fantastic. Thanks KK for the tip on cooking it . Slightly revised !

KK Ng likes this.
  10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Wow!!! That sounds great, I think I'll go get some eggplant and try it. :)

11. mart

mart Strong Ash

When you add the cornmeal and flip the eggplant over just let it brown slightly and then do the same for the other side !! Was really good !!