Busby's strange behaviour

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Gardengirl, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

For a few weeks now Busby, our 10 yr old Flatcoated Retriever, has been acting strangely, wanting to climb up on someone's lap, trembling and making little wimpering noises. It has happened about three times and always on a Saturday evening. We wondered what could be the problem and then it occurred to us that he only did it when we were watching a certain programme on the TV. The programme is one called 'Total Wipeout'. Most of my overseas friends will probably not recognise this but UK members might know it.
    We wondered whether there was any sound coming from the programme that could only be heard by him. I say this as directly my daughter turned the sound off this evening, he settled down and went to sleep.
    Any ideas anyone?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Palustris
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Palustris
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Pat it must be a very high frequency sound that is be causing Busby to act the way he does. These high pitched sounds can actually cause dogs physical pain although we humans can hear absolutely nothing. Maybe it would be best to record the programme and watch it when Busby is out of the house. Perhaps he could be taken for a walk by your husband when you decide you want to view.
    Sorry I can't be of more help but there really isn't an easy solution to the problem - short of isolating what the sound is and stopping it which would be almost impossible.

4. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Thankyou for replying Eileen, I thought you may be the first :) I was thinking along the same lines but just wanted another opinion. If you say it is probably causing Busby physical pain then we would rather watch the programme with the sub-titles on :) I don't know whether you have seen it, but Richard Hammond's commentary is quite humerous so we would like to know what he is saying. We would not want Busby to suffer so this might be the solution.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Our Labrador used to show the same kind of distress Pat when certain music was played - the synthesizer stuff that Ian likes. He would actually try to bury his head in our laps and paw at his ears to rid himself of the noise.

Wikipedia says " Synthesizers utilizes multiple sound generators to create complex waveforms that can be combined into countless sonic variations through various waveform synthesis techniques." I think 'Total Wipeout' must use this type of music in their programmes and that's what is causing Busby to behave the way he does when the programme is on.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I don't know that show gardengirl but I have a similar problem. My dog can hear the garbage truck miles away! It must make a noise that drives her crazy...it makes her shake and cry and if she is outside she will claw madly at the door trying to get in. Our house is 600 feet from the road and she has never been up close to a garbage truck. I don't get it?!

7. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Poor babies...if only they could talk...but they are talking by their actions.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I think that there may be something to what Eileen said. I have seen a portion of the "Wipeout" show once, and it does seem to me that there was some sort of background "music" going on throughout. I think that it isd interest5ing to note that others have similiar experiences. Poor doggie.

Our cats do something similar--if I am sitting and whistling an aria along with a CDor the radio...then the cats will come and jump right up on my lap! This is in itself odd, because the cats are definately not lap cats, they are almost autistic-like in that resoect. They like being close to people, but not to be touched so much. I guess they got that from the previous owners, I don't know.
    But how strange, eh? They just come, jump up on my lap and look very hard at my mouth, as if mesmerized...transfixed. It also happens if my partner sings and hits some high notes like in the "Flower Duet" in Lakme by Delibes.--You know the one.
    It is a technique that we now use when they are fighting or clawing at a chair--to break their concentration.

Well, GardenGirl--if you discover what is irritating your dog, I would like to know what it is. I find it an interesting phenomenon.

9. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

So interesting to read of others experiences with their pets, especially your cats Sjoerd. The only experience I have had with any of my cats is that one in particular loved me playing my keyboard, she used to jump up on me and lie right across my shoulders so I think this was probably a pleasurable experience for her rather than a painful one. As you say Sjoerd I think that Eileen is right in her diagnosis. Busby has not reacted like that with anything else so I can only assume that it is that particular programme.
    I would be very interested to hear of any other similar tales, it is a fascinating subject I think.

10. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I've never had a pet react quite like Busby to sounds from the television, but I did have a dog who would begin to act like that before thunderstorms. When I say before, I mean several hours before the storm so obviously she sensed or felt something that made her anxious well before we humans were aware of the storm.

I've had several cats who did what Sjoerd described, and current cat Missy does it too... when I sing in a particular way, she will even come from another room. She looks very worried as if she thinks I'm in pain (says a lot about my singing, I suppose).

11. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

DB my little Lexi acts like that when storms are approaching. I have heard it is the atmosphere that does something to their coats(static electricity). Lexi is 6 1/2 and when she was very young, I decided to play fetch with her to try and get her mind off the weather. That seemed to work...so now when it rains and/or storms she will get one of her favorite toys and bring it to me. She is ready to play! :)

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

heh heh heh...DAISY, maybe you should put one of your singing performances on YouTube--and then I could play it for my two and see how they would react.
    And who knows, it might catch the eye of a talent scout and you may get a recording contract offer from one of the top lables. ;)

13. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

OK, Sjoerd, I'll sing on Youtube if you will too. Actually, I tried singing for the cats tonight just to see what they would do and laughed my head off imagining if someone could actually hear me. They didn't care for my singing. Missy loked at me and walked away disgusted. Austin looked kind of scared.

14. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Now that would be something, seeing Daisybeans & Sjoerd on YouTube :D I must say that on a lighter note Busby does enjoy it when I sing or dance around the room to music, he gets on his hind legs, puts his front paws in my hands and we dance around together.
    Animals do react to music I think. Our Bobbie, who we lost a couple of years ago used to know the end of a programme just before he was due to go for his evening walk. Directly the music started up, he was on his feet and getting excited about the prospect of 'walkies'. Busby is beginning to do the same sort of thing.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ok Daisy, a duet it is--Then I propose a little number from La Traviata. I shall be Alfredo and you, Violetta. This will have to be a one-off performance, as I do not normally do duets.

I can see it now...Minimal theatre lighting, but more lighting from dozens and dozens of candles...everyone dressed in period costumes sitting around a circular table with plenty of champagne. With our costumes, wigs and make-up, we are unrecognizable to friends and family, luckily.
    The room is packed and everyone is chatting and laughing loudly...you, sitting on one side of the room and I, standing on the other...our eyes meet and I lift my glass subtly in a silent toast to you, "La Dame aux Camélias", and the violins begin....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcKdnkGBSgA

16. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

:D I suddenly have a craving for Champagne :D