Bush about 1.20m high, the leaves are round about 10 cm in size

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Odif, May 6, 2017.

1. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I found a strange plant in my new garden under a Budleia
    whatsthis2.jpg It is a bush about 1.20m high, the leaves are round about 10 cm in size and indented where the stalk starts. The reddish colour is because they are young and they become green afterwards.

whats this.jpg The flowers resemble pea or bean flowers. The shrivelled leaves in the background are due to frost damage.

whatsthis3.jpg The plant is a bush, there are not many leaves because it is under the shade of a budleia, I will get the chainsaw out to cut the budleia. Sorry if the pictures are not clear enough, but the light was not good, I will post some more pictures in a few days if it helps.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

that is an eastern redbud tree. a small tree. likes the edge of a wooded area mostly on the eastern side of the woods.

4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

The only problem that I have with that identification is that the leaves are round and not pointy. My wife just told me it is a Judas tree, and looking at Judas trees on the internet, they are exactly the same except that they have round leaves, and being native to southern Europe, where I am, I think it might just be a Judas tree. The flowers are startingly similar. Eastern redbud is "Cercis canadensis" Judas tree is "Cercis siliquastrum" Thank you for your help.

purpleinopp likes this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I wouldn't have even noticed there was no point to the tip of the leaf. the flowers are pretty much identical, though.