Buzzing all around and such beautiful butterflys....

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Sherry8, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

The last few days when we were sitting out doors to enjoy the weather the hummingbirds have been very active. Buzzing all around your head and just interesting to watch. The Monarchs and the Viceroy and even the Hummingbird Moth all seem to be in a frenzy. The chickadees are always enjoyable to watch...I love their sounds. The last picture is a clouded sulphur enjoying my bacopa plant...

September 14, 2015 223 (2).jpg

September 14, 2015 066 (2).jpg

September 15, 2015 166 (2).jpg

September 15, 2015 255 (2).jpg

September 9, 2015 178 (2).jpg

September 14, 2015 422 (2).jpg

September 14, 2015 234 (2).jpg

donm, Tooty2shoes and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Eileen...I find my hands getting unsteady as I get older . Practice, practice, practice....my computer is full of photos. It was too hard to practice with the film cameras and with the newer ones all you do is delete the bloopers....thank you for taking off the extra photo.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've removed the duplicate for you Sherry.

Very impressive photographs as always. You manage to catch the Hummingbirds and the Hawk moths so well despite them being difficult to get shots of because of their speed. We've been told that, here in Scotland, we'll soon be having an invasion of these moths due to weather conditions being more favourable for them. I wonder if I'll ever be able to get as good pictures of them as you've managed? Somehow I doubt it though.

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Glorious photos Sherry! And it looks like your feathered friend found his stone twin :p Thanks for sharing with us.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

As always, marvelous photos of hard to photograph birds and bugs! I love to see your posts, so please, please keep them coming!

7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Sherry I am so jealous. I think our Hummers have moved on already. I do not see them coming to the feeder anymore. I will have to plant a few Butterfly bushes as we have quite a few different butterflies. We have a lot of wild Asters and a few different varieties of Golden Rod. I have seen quite a few Bumble bees and honey bees on my Sedum and on the Asters. Nature is so fun to watch.
    We saw a TV show on bees. I didn't know that the whole colony of Bumble bees dies each winter. But that a few pupa survive and turn into queens the following spring, and create a new hive. If my info is correct, they said that Bumble bees also have a hard time finding suitable places to make a hive. Many of them need a already made cavity of some sort. I am so glad to see them around our place.

8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Thank you Eileen, Frank, Marlingardener and Tooty2hoes...

Frank...those small birdbaths draw in so many birds. I love it when they decide to bathe. They are really comical. I think the bird baths are one of my favorite things to put out in the spring....

Frank likes this.
  9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Wow! Each bird and butterfly seems to be posing for you! I enjoyed looking at them, especially the hummingbird moth. I miss seeing them.

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Thank you 2ofus...I still have my hummingbirds. I see them flying all around chasing one another when I looked out my window today. Our weather is warm and I think they might be mixed up in when to leave. I haven't seen the hummingbird moths for a few days but I haven't been out as much with so many mosquitoes....I grabbed my camera yesterday and before I could get there the butterfly was gone, they seem to be very fast right now ...

11. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Breathtaking! :) Your photos are really superb!
    Gosh, I find it a challenge to get a flower to "pose" for a nice, reasonably in-focus pic. :oops:

12. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Thank you zuzu's petals. My hummingbirds just left this week. It seems lonely without them buzzing back and forth around us....it has been windy and harder to take photos of the butterflys.