Cafe Design

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by CafeStyle, Mar 29, 2007.

1. CafeStyle

CafeStyle New Seed

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of searching for a building to design into a CAFÉ. I'm not really sure what theme to go with, I live in Melbourne Florida, as most of you know we are quite a laid back state.

I'm trying to get away from the ordinary CAFÉ style and maybe develop a new era. I need a theme that will continue to draw in clientèle. I would really love to develop and upscale café; however due to the majority of individual here, they enjoy a more relax environment.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,

-Jason.

2. Loading...

3. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Hi Jason, :smt039 welcome.
    One of my favorite Cafes is also a gallery for local artists and craftsmen,
    so there is always interesting and changing decor.
    It's an easygoing place with friendly staff and patrons,
    where strangers often end up chatting with one another.

I'd agree with keeping the atmosphere relaxed,
    I know that I personally choose to go to a cafe when I want to feel relaxed and social,
    a cafe is probably not the destination I'd choose
    for an "up-scale" experience, just my opinion.

4. CafeStyle

CafeStyle New Seed

Zuzu, by any chance does this site have any experienced interior designer that would offer a little support? Do you recommend anyone?

Thanks a bunch!

-Jason

5. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Definitely go with a gallery rotating works by local artists. Take advantage of certain holidays by posting artwork by local grade-schoolers. Paint your walls a light butterscotch color, and accent with dark brown. That will set off the artwork perfectly. Lots of light wood would be great too. Stick with colors that make people think "yummy cup of coffee". And hang all the artwork so the tops of the frames will be in a straight line. Why am I so opinionated? Well, for one, you are doing what I've only daydreamed about, and for another, I love visiting little cafe's all over the place. The ones that are "themey" are cute at first but get stale pretty quick. Sincere best wishes for success!
    Mary, from the Land of the Coffee Shop (south of seatlle!)

Advertisement
  6. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Cafe'

How about a cyber cafe' they started them in CA. before the cyber coffee shops,"I've heard" with internet access, at the tables and a pc for others to use, they may have a longer lunch, etc. but it's what ppl want now a days...

7. katsback

katsback In Flower

well look in other warm climate places for ideas that have gone over, are you trying to draw a young crowd? or older folk?

8. CafeStyle

CafeStyle New Seed

I would prefer both. My aunt and myself hang-out at a local cafe its a great place, various age groups, one problem tho, not enough customers. They're in a really bad location. The key here is bring a "GREAT" theme to the Cafe and (Location,Location,Location)

9. LittleSister

LittleSister New Seed

What kind of foods will you be serving?

A neutral wall color will look cleaner and brighter. Use either art and contrasting paint on a wall to bring in spots of color.

Less is more! Use texture to bring in interest instead of kitchy things everywhere.

Personally, I'd stay away from a theme. Offer the freshest foods you can, in quality recipes. Or if not serving meals, the best roasted coffees and unique pastries. But do it well made. It won't matter how pretty your set up is if the food is bad.

Believe me, I belong to enough food boards to learn real quick like which places to avoid in certain cities, all by word of mouth.

10. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I also would like to know what you plan to serve. When I go out the decor is the least of it. I want good food, pleasant service and Cleanliness. 8)

11. CafeStyle

CafeStyle New Seed

I have decided to open a Coffee/Smoothie Café, and since this is strictly a Café and not a bistro it would be in my best interest to only serve a few items.

(I could be wrong, Little sister I would love to hear your thoughts)

Since I'm a vegetarian, I feel its only right to serve that type of food and that's what I feel most comfortable cooking. As far as laying out an exact menu I haven't gotten that far, I'm still trying to find a Great Location. (Location, Location, Location,)

*Sorry it has taken so long to respond, I have been quite busy with work.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason.