Caladiums

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by jnnwyman, Mar 31, 2006.

1. jnnwyman

jnnwyman Seedling

We followed these directions and they turned out very pretty. The neighbors kept coming by to see them and they would turn their lawn chairs to face the caladiums!!!

You are going to be very happy with caladiums. Instant color allll summer long! Just keep feeling that soil to make sure it is not dry down about two inches into the soil. (Dry on top of the soil is okay.)

By the way, you can even plant these as late as August (USA) and you will get late summer color while everything else is going to plant heaven. They grow over night when the temps are in the 80's to 100's.

They do well in pots, but better in the ground.

They are pretty by themselves or you can plant them with other flowers.

This information is from Caladium World:

1.Open box at once, spread for air, A MUST or bulbs will rot.

2.Keep at 70 to 90 degrees at all times.

3.Plant when ground is HOT (70 degrees or hotter), in a well-drained area.

4. A partially shaded area is best.

5.Cover bulbs with ONE OR TWO inches of soil. (Not deep)

6. WATER FREQUENTLY, keep soil moist but never soggy.

7. Soil must be HOT and MOIST for them to germinate rapidly.

8. Light applicaton 6-6-6 fertilizer every six weeks is sufficient.

9. If bloom appears you can cut it off or leave it.

If storage is attempted for winter, bulbs should be dug before cold weather and spread in flats in a location with good DRY ventilation and a temperature of 70-90 degrees. Caladiums will ROT if they are not kept warm. Remember, warmth is a caladium's best friend. DO NOT PLANT TOO EARLY.

Bulbs will not come up rapidly in COOL weather. It must be HOT before they will come up. Bulbs are shipped at planting time in your zone.

Plant small bulbs close together in small groups to get the same fullness as the larger bulbs. If bulbs are planted close together they will make a beautiful showing (this is soooo true).

Planting:
    Small bulbs about 2" apart
    Medium bulbs about 6" apart
    Large bulbs about 12" apart

2. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I grow caladiums. I have five differnt types. Heres a tip you wont find anywhere on the net.

By looking at the bulbs you cant tell which side goes up or down. If you turn it the wrong way, they wont sprout. The sprouts WILL! grow down (learn that the hard way!)

I turn mine on its side. Works very well.

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I like those!!! Wonderful colours. :D

4. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

I absolutely love caldiums!! The colors seem endless. Mine surprise me every year.Just when I start to think they are not going to sprout they poke their pretty little heads out!!

Advertisement
  5. novicegardner

novicegardner New Seed

I saw these for the first time in the store the other day, and thought they'd be wonderful for my shaded area in my garden. I planted them, but haven't seen anything yet. They are staying moist, as it has rained/or I have watered them regularly. Is it because I am further north? I notice the two of you are in the southern part of the U.S. Do you know when I should be expecting to see them!?! I'm getting anxious!

6. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

They will show when you least expect them too! LOL I know its hard to wait but mine just came up this week! I thought they were dead but nope there they are!

7. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I have some just poking their heads through the soil and I am further south than you.

Novice, yours will come up, just be patient. Some nurserys and garden centers carry them in pots, they are relatively inexpensive and give instant color.

8. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

I like the heart-shaped leaves of Caladiums. I like the bright red, pink, and green colors.