Can I sow zinnia flower early 4 weeks before the last frost?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Flowerboi, Jan 8, 2017.

?

Can i sow zinnia flower early before the 4 week befor the last frost?

1. No

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Flowerboi

Flowerboi New Seed

Hi everyone hope to learn a lot of things from you guys in here i am interested on growing cut flower. any flower grower please shoot me a massage will to began

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

There are more conditions necessary than just germinating the seeds. If you can provide good growing conditions once you sow the seeds you could start them quite early in a growing season.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I think that you could (inside)...but how will you know for sure when the last frost will be?
    Good luck with your project. I am not good at predicting these days, so for me it is what we call, "wet finger work"....purely a guess. The trend of changing weather conditions makes this aspect of gardening a bit difficult here.

Tacticalgardener and LIcenter like this.
  5. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

I have to agree with Sjoerd. Weather of late is quite iffy. Now if you have a good place to grow them indoors with the ability to up pot them, then go for it. Otherwise I'd hold off by maybe two weeks.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If you are in an area with snow on the ground now and the possibility of more snow in the next month then you have to wait.
    Zinnias are hot weather flowers, they need a long hot growing season...meaning they will most likely not even germinate until your soil temperature is warmer than 70 degrees and if they sit in cold/wet soil waiting for the last day of frost they will most likely rot before getting that chance..

Growing seasons vary in length depending on where you are in the world, but you can start them in peat pots indoors to get a head start, then when there is no more chance of a freeze you can plant them outdoors in the pot.
    I know it is difficult to wait for the beauty that Spring brings but we have to.:(

7. Tacticalgardener

Tacticalgardener Seedling

Unless you live where I live. Then you can grow them all year long. :p

8. Tacticalgardener

Tacticalgardener Seedling

It's not as great as it sounds though. 80 percent of the year is too hot to grow "normal" flowers and veggies. Plus it never gets cold enough to kill any pests, so there is an abundance.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I start mine about mid March and plant out under a row cover in early May and remove the row cover on sunny days so they don't cook and put it back on if the threat of frost is on the forecast.