Can I use sand for Peace Lilly potting soil?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Amadeo, May 23, 2016.

1. Amadeo

Amadeo New Seed

My question is - whether I can use sand instead of pumice, or perlite for drenage when making potting soil mix for my Peace Lilly? And which sand would be the best for this function, and in which proportion can I mix it with potting soil? [​IMG]

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. 102christa
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. calinromania
      Replies:
      Views:

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Um, I don't think sand will give you any drainage like perlite will. It will make for a heavier pot so it doesn't fall over easily, but for drainage? maybe add sand and perlite, not all sand. Coarse sand would be my thought.

Amadeo and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

As per the link you posted in your previous question about Peace Lilies, sand is not listed as an option to use for the plant at all. Using compost made for indoor plants is the only planting medium recommended and should provide proper drainage.

5. Amadeo

Amadeo New Seed

Hi Toni, thank you for your reply. I have found a lot of the information on other websites, and spoken to many people and sand is actually an option because you can use it instead of perlite, by the way I'm speaking about proper coarse builders sand, not just sand from the street or beach. You can use it by mixing in the potting soil, I'm going to use it because I have some other plants that will not be happy planted in perlite soil, so I don't want to have some of it left and to go bad. In case all of my plants according to the internet research that I did, like to have coarse sand in the potting soil mix. It's just a case of choice!:smt001

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Amadeo

Amadeo New Seed

Thank you for your reply Carolyn,

I'm speaking about coarse sand that I will mix with potting soil. As I did research on the internet it says on many of the websites that you can use either coarse sand or perlite, whatever you prefer!:)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Amadeo,..my Dad used to grow Peace Lilies,..always kept them moist but never soggy,..he used Peat Moss back then mixed with bark and coarse sand,.. though the plant will thrive in any well drained soil its the care of the plant that counts,..he was forever cleaning dust off the leaves,..even when watering it had to be water left overnight so it was at room temperature and chlorine had evaporated,..lol you would treat Goldfish the same.

Amadeo likes this.
  8. Amadeo

Amadeo New Seed

Hi Philip, that's so nice that your Dad has been caring for his plants so much, he must have admired them if he devoted so much of his attention, and time giving them appropriate care! :) I have found the same information about substances used to create proper compost for the Peace Lillies, but I decided to not do it exactly that way. All I'm going to do is to mix some coarse sand (instead of perlite) with potting soil, that already contain some perlite, peat moss and loam and that is well draining one. And place some broken terracotta pots pieces in the bottom of the pot. I'm actually also very passionate about my plants, and trying to gather a lot of information to give them proper care. I also heard that it's good to clean the dust from leaves, because Piece Lillies leaves are like a dust magnet, so your Dad was doing the right thing! I didn't leave the water overnight before watering them, because I didn't know that it's also good thing to do, but now I probably will.:snicker:

Philip Nulty likes this.