can someone tell me - possible to over stock pond with fish?

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by glasfryn, Dec 6, 2006.

1. glasfryn

glasfryn Seedling

we have a pond which is about 3m x 4m and its been very good,but we have had a heron who has culled some of the larger goldfish (we only have goldfish)and we now have a net over the whole pond.
    This year we have had a glut of tiddlers and fry and now have over 200 fish in the pond when there was only ever about 60 before my question :- is it true that a pond will only allow so many fish to live,is it possible to over stock it with fish.
    One point here is we only had one tiddler last year and he/she survived the whole very cold winter.
    If they all grow to full size we will need a lorry load of fish food every day next summer,not that we mind as its the fist time we have ever had a pond and it has just about everything in it frogs,newts,and all sorts of wildlife in it and visiting.
    G.

2. Loading...