Can we talk cameras?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Raddang, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

I try not to digress on threads so as to avoid taking them 'off topic'. Cameras have started to be discussed on another thread and, as we all need a camera to post our pictures here, I thought it would be interesting to see what sort of equipment we are all using.
    Sydney Smith has listed his current cameras and a pretty impressive collection it is too.

For myself I have always had an interest in cameras and photography, nothing too serious, just the pleasure of recording moments in time. Until about 12 years ago I did have a small darkroom but with the change to digital I dispensed with that and sold off all my equipment and cameras.

I now have just three inexpensive cameras that meet my needs. They are a Nikon D5000 with the kit lens plus a 55 - 300 Nikon lens. A Fujifilm HS50 bridge camera with a 42x zoom (24 - 1000mm), and the little Fujifilm X10 retro style compact. Apart from the Nikon, I bought the other two from Fuji as 'refurbs'. You get a great price and they are as new.

What are you other guys using to get all the super shots that you post on here? My guess is that there is some top end gear being used.

PS. Must just add that my Samsung mobile phone camera is excellent IF I get caught without 'a proper camera' ;)

Philip Nulty and Henry Johnson like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Raddang. Have referred to my DSLR's in Bird Pics as noted here. Ref the Fujifilm compact you mention I also have one an S5600 which was bought and used pre my first DSLR - a super little job it is. I have a Panasonic digital camcorder and I mention this for interest also a JVC cassette camcorder which still works OK - one of the original Polaroid Land Cameras plus a 1940's Kodak Brownie (folding/bellows) type - these last three now unused but keep them for old times sake.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    Philip Nulty and Henry Johnson like this.
  4. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

Sydney, I thought the S5600 was a digital camera? Or I might be wrong. I did have an S6500 Fuji bridge camera but as I change cameras I usually dispose of the older ones because I am unlikely to use them again. I do well on ebay, get good prices, and most of my cameras have gone around the world. My big regret is that I sold a Yashica 635 twin lens (21/4" square) when I went digital. It was SO good, if I still had it I would use it today. But it went back to Japan.....

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I just have a "cheap" camera (a kodak). It has a bunch of settings I have no idea how to use. I think it is time to replace mine though as it takes forever to "process" to actually taking the picture. I am learning how to us the exposure feature rather than auto and it is taking much nicer pictures than I am used to taking... I think most of the people (like me) who have no idea about aperture settings etc of their camera can't take a good picture no matter what because we don't know how to actually use the camera anyway.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016

Advertisement
  6. kate

kate In Flower

Same as Carolyn, bob standard camera in a Samsung, I do love Samsung.
    I also have Toshiba hardly used and its HD/Video and camera.
    cameo.JPG
    I would love DLSR but out of my price range unfortunetely.
    K

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I have a refurbished Nikon D90 and a refurbished Fuji HS50. I've not had a moments problem with either even though they're both refurbished. I love taking photos and with digital being so easy and inexpensive I'm always out there with my camera snapping away.

My one preference is a camera with an eye piece. I definitely do not like the screens. I find them too difficult to see in all the different light conditions.

8. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

Carolyn and Kate, I think Islandlife and me seem to have very similar camera gear. Nothing expensive but perfectly adequate for good results. A DSLR is great BUT rather heavy particularly if you have several interchangeable lenses. A good bridge camera is much lighter and in many respects has a bigger range of functions. The big difference is that a DSLR has a 'live' view finder so you are actually looking through the lens. This is in my opinion much clearer than the electronic viewfinder that most other digital cameras have these days. Here are a few pics from sitting out in the sun this afternoon with some comparative comments.
    This bird (a female chaffinch I think) was taken with the Fuji HS50 . This will zoom from 24 to 1000mm so will meet all needs.
    DSCF1751.JPG
    This squirrel was taken with the Nikon with the heavy 300mm lens fitted.
    DSC_0062.JPG
    I think you will agree there is very little difference in quality.

This one of a bird leaving a feeder was taken with the HS50 with the shutter set to 16 frames per second. The Nikon (which is only entry level) is a much more expensive camera but, at best, can only do 4 frames per second.
    20160718 Great ti leaves the feeder.JPG

To sum up. In my opinion bridge cameras are inexpensive, lightweight and capable of excellent results. The down side is the viewfinder but most people don't have a problem.

I believe we have some keen snappers on here and don't hesitate to ask if anyone has camera problems. I bet somebody will know the answer. ;):)

kate and Philip Nulty like this.
  9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

With the Nikon DSLR I bought (again refurbished) lens of different strengths but I honestly do find having to carry them around and change them a bit of a pain and that is saying nothing about the weight.

Ever since I got the Fuji HS50 (bridge camera) I prefer to use it given the 1000mm capabilities.

I guess I also have a third camera which is an older small Canon. It fits inside my purse. The quality of photo it produces isn't that great but it is good to have for a quick picture of something in a pinch.

@Raddang - like the first bird photo. Good one :) The squirrel is looking pretty darn good too. :) :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Raddang. Ref the Fujifilm S5600. I did not word that very well - old age galloping on - it is indeed digital - I meant PRE MY first purchasing of DSLR's.
    This Fuji must now be 8-10 yrs old.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Raddang, Islandlife and Philip Nulty like this.
  11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Nothing spectacular camera wise here,..i was using a Sony Cybershot up to last year,..i had two of them,..lost one and broke the other,..now its a Canon PowerShot SX610HS 18X Zoom,..fits in my shirt pocket and i carry it everywhere,..sometimes i use my phone camera a Sony Experia if i need a quick shot.

Raddang and Islandlife like this.
  12. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

@Philip Nulty What amazes me Philip is how far phone cameras have come from the small file size pictures not not too many years ago. This is a picture in a local park a few days ago. A quite acceptable picture IMO with the extremes of light and shade.
    20160628 Sunny Day. Westgate Gardens-016.jpg

Sherry8 and Philip Nulty like this.
  13. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Lovely photo that could really tell a story too....... :) :)

Raddang and Philip Nulty like this.
  14. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Raddang,..beautiful picture,..a relaxing image and yes i love the light and shade,..it enhances the scene :like:

Raddang likes this.
  15. kate

kate In Flower

Reddang: Your image is lovely and reminds me of a panaramic my son took on his Iphone.

Beautiful photography Reddang!! IMG_04882a.jpg
    Iphones are amazing if you know how to take pics...I don't....:smt043
    K

Philip Nulty and Raddang like this.
  16. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

Thank you Kate. I just love taking pictures, almost anything that catches my eye. I am also a fan of short pano's, an easy alternative to a wide angle lens. :)

Edit: Forgot to mention earlier that I also have a trail camera set up outside the house. I bought it to try and as it was very inexpensive the results are not very good. I have lots of fox vids but this was a good surprise of a badger stealing the foxes peanuts back in February.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    Philip Nulty likes this.