Can you help me? Yellowing leaves

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Lunmi, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Lunmi

Lunmi New Seed

Hello :) in this photo you can see my plant. I dont know why leaves are yellow and falling off. Whats wrong?

Attached Files:

Sjoerd and Gail-Steman like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

How often do you water your plant Lunmi? Yellowing leaves can be a sign of overwatering.

Sjoerd and carolyn like this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

does your plants pot have drainage, too? overwatering/standing in water can cause the leaves to yellow and drop... lack of fertilizer can too. even succulents need fertilized every now and then.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  5. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

:hi: @Lunmi welcome to GS and nice to have you with us :)...what kind of plant is it as I've never seen one before?

Advertisement
  6. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Adorable!! Looks like a Sedum. Compare to Sedum pachyphyllum (many fingers.) The leaves look too long and thin to be the similar looking S. rubrotinctum (jelly bean plant.)

It's a clumping plant, so the loss of older leaves & presence of aerial roots aren't disturbing as long as new leaves are forming at the same pace as older ones are being lost. As each stem get heavier, it will lean until the older part is touching the soil, take root, and send out new stems. You can watch them do that, or trim and replant if you want to be more proactive about its' development or start new pots of it. When I do that with this kind of plant, I usually let the stems dry overnight before sticking back into a pot. This allows the wound to heal, which reduces the likelihood of rotting.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I think that Eileen is hinting at an important possibility--over-watering. Your plant is a succulent and therefore does not need a great deal of watering.
    It is of course possible that those dead leaves simply died of old age, having served their purpose.
    Keep an eye on your little jewel...and keep us posted.