Can you tell a real AV from a rogue?

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by Humble Pie, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Humble Pie

Humble Pie New Seed

I thought this was an interesting app from the Malware Protection Center:

Take the test to see if you can tell the difference:

Real vs Rogue

Some of the programs look so legitimate they can even confuse the experts. I remember the first generation of rogues and they were definitely easier to spot apart from the real thing due to major spelling and grammar mistakes and/or some UI irregularities. Not anymore!

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Considering I do not use/have a PC, 7 out of 10 is O.K.

Jerry

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I got eight out of ten but I found is quite difficult to ascertain which were real and which were rogues.

5. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

I scored 7 out of 10. Oddly enough, I occasionally get warnings that I have various Windows malware and virus infections. I consider this a neat trick since I don't run Windows. I've also received phone calls telling me that my pc has reported that I have a virus to some virus center. When I ask them what version of Windows I'm running, they usually say it's XP. When I tell them I don't run Windows they start trying to tell me it's on my MacIntosh. When I tell them I run Linux, they hang up.

Frank likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Humble Pie

Humble Pie New Seed

:D ROFLing! That's a good one Evil Roy. Those bad guys are relentless aren't they!

I'm glad you posted about the telephone scams. Very educational for those who don't realize that Microsoft would never call you to let you know that your computer is sending out signals that you are infected. I know one lady that actually gave her SS# and bank acct information to a phone scammer such as that. Luckily they weren't able to rob her of her life savings since her daughter had taken over her financial business just weeks before and changed all of her acct info.

NEVER give any personal financial information to anyone on the phone!

For anyone who doesn't get 80% or better, please don't feel shame. The GUI's on those programs are very convincing and have fooled the experts as well.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I scored 9 out of 10. I have had that call claiming my computer was infected. I had heard about that scam and played along for a while. Then it just made me so furious that I couldn't stop myself from giving that guy a piece of my mind!!

8. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I only got 6 of 10 :/ I guessed on all but one though, and that one was one my own personal Geek Squad friend told me to use so I knew it was legit hehe

9. Jadenz

Jadenz Seedling

I got 8 out of 10 so I need to learn more. But I only use anti-virus and anti-malware apps that I know are cool. I get that information from talking to my friends and reading threads at tech sites. Btw, I've been online for 4 years and I never had a virus and not very much malwares either.

Frank likes this.