Canada Blooms 2013 - photo heavy!

Discussion in 'Garden Visits and Flower Shows' started by Netty, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I was lucky enough this past weekend to attend Canada Blooms, a flower and garden show and festival in Toronto. The show was fantastic and just what this winter weary gardener needed! I took just over 200 photos and it was really difficult to narrow them down, but I think these are the best of the bunch.
    This was the first thing we saw as we entered the building
    [​IMG]
    Stepping inside, I was immediately aware of the scent ... a wonderful mix of soil, water, and flowers. There was a huge display of Tulips just inside the door
    [​IMG]
    On the other side was this lovely cart of flowers
    [​IMG]
    Next was a lovely feature garden done by Sheridan Nurseries celebrating 100 years of innovation in horticulture
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This display, I noticed, was heavily planted with Hellebore. I found out later that this was THE plant of the show, with vendors everywhere selling these lovely plants.
    [​IMG]
    Another plant the seemed to dominate the show was Medinilla Magnifica. This exotic plant from the Philippines made it's North American debut at last years show.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They were beautiful, but very large and I didn't want to carry it around for the rest of the day. Besides that, it's $50 price tag was a little steep for me. I had also already promised myself that I wouldn't buy any plants at this show unless it was on my wish list.
    I thought these Sanseveriea Cylindrica were interesting
    [​IMG]
    An interesting display of Forsythia and Pussy Willow
    [​IMG]
    I really liked this tabletop landscape. It was simple, pleasing to the eye, yet out of the ordinary
    [​IMG]
    A close up of one of the Poppies
    [​IMG]
    This was completely made of flowers
    [​IMG]
    Another beautiful arrangement
    [​IMG]
    A prize winning arrangement
    [​IMG]
    We needed to sit down for a few minutes, so we caught a show. We watched flower arranging with Albert Graves... Gardening with Flare. He had loud music and was making beautiful arrangements and promoting excercise. This one he made in about 3 minutes!
    [​IMG]
    This post is getting long and I have so many more photos to share. I think this is the beginning of a series LOL More to follow :)

carolyn likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

More Please!!!

It all looks so beautiful. That table top display gives me an idea of something I can do on the buffet in the kitchen. I have several vases I try to keep cut flowers in but several bottles and jars with indoor plants on it and the cut flowers would be really cheery. I feel another trip to the indoor plants section of the garden center being called for this weekend.

Looking forward to more photos.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I love to visit flower shows like this. At least I don't get sore feet when looking at all the displays this time but I do miss the scents that must have been wafting about.

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Wow... what a sight. I'm off to look at part 2 right now!

Advertisement
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Great pictures and lovely displays,..you had a great day.

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh this is great....right in my own home.....no traveling....wow. Thanks.

8. Netty

I DID have a great day! This was the first time I made it to this show and I was NOT disappointed. Eileen, the scent was amazing, especially near the display with the Star Gazer Lillies - I think that photo is in part 2. It really smelled like spring :)
    You can view more photos from 2010-2012 feature gardens on the Canada Blooms website here http://www.canadablooms.com/html/feature-gardens.html

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I can almost smell those blooms all the way here. :D What a lovely show of flowers. I need to go out and buy some cut flowers. Lots of them! Preferably some with a heavy scent.

10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Netty,..i mentioned in another thread that i spent 10 very enjoyable minutes looking at the 2012 link,..some great ideas to see and interesting plants,..now i intend looking at the 2011 and 2010 links,..with coffee in hand,..great post Netty.

11. Netty

I'm glad everyone is enjoying my photos, it really was a great show. I'm still sorting photos, so I may have more :)