Caring for seeds, when and how did you learn?

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by S-H, Jan 19, 2014.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

OK, here's a question that's been floating in my mind for a while now. How and when (I mean at what age) did you learn that all seeds are potential new plants? Like, exactly when did you guys realize how the circle of life works in the garden?

For me, it was planting tomatoes from seeds - So when they sprouted, I never looked at another seed the same way again! Of course, I also later confirmed that all the tomatoes which I grew with my mother at the age of 3, also had the same type of seeds in them.

Therefore since that day, I became a gardener. So how and when did it happen with you guys? :)

Kiasmum and CariAnn88 like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

I used to "help" my Dad plant potatoes when I was really quite young (he would plant them and I would take some of them back out of the holes :D ) but I'm not sure I made the connection at that age,so I suppose I must have been 7 or 8 when the penny dropped and then I would really help as Dad would let me sow seeds of my own.

There was a gap in my gardening when I went to college which lasted until Mark and I got married and eventually moved to our 2nd home with a proper garden to play with and now I still marvel at the fact that I can coax life out of tiny seeds and use their products to feed us or beautify our lives!

4. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I also same age of 3-planted Hollyhocks all over. This was 64 years ago. But back then they called them Farmer's weed. Come a long way.

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I was in first or second grade and we sprouted bean seeds in paper cups. I carried that bean seed around and treated it like a pet. I was heart broken when I dropped it and broke the plant off at the base. I was also hooked on gardening.

Advertisement
  6. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I remember being at school (preschool, I think?) and planting grass seed in styrofoam cups. That was probably the first time I planted anything. I dont remember the next time I planted seeds, probably school again. But now Im all about trying to grow as many of my plants as possible from seed!

7. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

My Mom says I was playing in the mud before I could walk. I use to make clay mud pots and let them dry in the sun. Then plant seeds in them. Of course the fell apart real soon. but once in awhile I would get a flower or two in the mud pile. I'm still at it 60 some years later, but my pot don't fall apart anymore.

8. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I always helped my mom plant flower seeds each spring. I guess I would've been 4 or 5 when we started that. I used to love watering them, and watching them sprout and bloom.
    When I was in my teens, my dad had a big vegetable garden in the empty lot next door. I remember really learning to love gardening when I helped him plant tend and harvest those plants.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I first remember learning about seeds by helping my Mom plant beans in our veggie garden. I loved to water the garden then too, spraying water was very amusing LOL

10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Like Kiasmum I helped plant potatoes when I was young. Then mother planted a grape seed in a flower pot and told me it might grow to a plant. When it did I started planting apple seed, orange seed and whichever seed I could find. My grandmother got a bit frustrated when my seed started sprouting since I put them all in her house plant pots. :D

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I truly have no memory of not gardening. I can't remember any special moment that I realized a seed became a plant and was an "oh wow" moment.

12. Sakura

Sakura New Seed

Same here grew up gardening I remember starting seeds here and there in school and I would grow carrots in my little garden from seeds