Caring for your roses.

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by MIKE ALLEN, Nov 9, 2021.

1. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

To many the rose is a shrub that has nasty thorns etc. However across the world, there are many who love and devote their interest to growing roses. Hi! I am one of the latter. Having grown roses for over sixty years, you'd think that I knew all about them. Wrong. I have spent a fortune on new plants, and suffered many losses. I now grow my roses in 15Ltr. pots. Checking each plant at least once a week has become something of a natural way of life.
    Growing roses takes on several forms. The commercial grower/breeder. No offense intentended, but a living has to be made. Then the likes of YOU and ME. Whether we have a single or a collection of many rose plants, these plants mean so much to us. I have come to realise that, cosmetics at times play a big part in our relationship to our garden plants. We of course want them to look nice. So. I-Spy nasty black spots on myrose bush. These are brownish/black markings on the leaves. This is known as, Diplocarpon rosae. This is a fungal problem. Sme rose suppliers suggest this or that rose is black spot resistant. Pull the other one. Briefly. The advice is. If your rose has Black Spot. Remove the affected leaves and burn them. This followes that. The micro spores can and do survive and can overwinter in the soil. Come suitable weather conditions and, an on site supply of infection is on the doorstep.
    Now at this time of the year, plants are defoliating. In many cases it's OK to hoe fallen leaves into the soil. Soil around roses. NO. NO. Do your best to collect, even to hand defoliate roses, and burn the leaves. This really is a serious matter.

Cayuga Morning, Zigs, Logan and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

I have to admit Mike that at one time I was a rose hater - ruddy things always did and STILL do attack me with a vengeance - it has nothing at all to do with me being cack handed and handling them wrongly :rolleyes:
    These days however, since I allowed one or two of these ''vicious'' things into my new flower beds, I have become hooked on them, and will be watching out for black spot especially, and dealing with it in the correct way ........whilst wearing strong gloves :D

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I like roses well enough, but our climate is a rose killer. Just as the buds are opening and the rose starts to bloom we may get some strong winds and heavy rain, and *poof* no more roses. Then the roe deer eat them, and suddenly the ants decide to make a lovely colony of aphids in them. Add mildew and black spots to the mix and I feel it's not worth it. The roses growing in our garden are pretty resistant old sorts with a heavy scent. They only bloom once but I'll take 'em anyway. We inherited them so I feel I have to honour the trust.

Logan and marlingardener like this.
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

My roses get black spot at the end of summer, don't do anything about it and they recover well. I used to spray with a systematic spray for black spot but have to do it every fortnight and it leaves a white powder on the leaves but it does work if you keep the spraying going, when stopped it comes back

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    MIKE ALLEN likes this.

Advertisement
  6. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

Thank you for your replies. Droopy. Nice to meet you. It's so sad that you have so much against you with your roses. It is of course so easy for many suggestions to be forwarded, sadly far too often the financial costs outweigh the end product. However keep trying. Have you tried container growing etc.

Tetters. I am sure that a few pricks and scratches won't deter you. We won't mention language input.:whistling:

Logan. I always admire photos of your garden and like your dogs.....well kept. Sorry, can't leave out. Your mouth watering baking. Yummy!
    Returning to your roses. They look good.. Systemic chemicals are drawn up via the roots and basically then work outwards. Sraying could be the cause of the white powdery effect.
    So much has and can be written about Black Spot. In general. You cannot cure Black Spot. The advice to remove and burn affected foliage stands. As I mentioned. At the end of the season, most if not all dying leaves get Black Spot. The fungal spores can survive for years in the soil. Hence clear these up and burn, rather than hoeing them into the soil. Strange but. Some old roses just continue to survive. Perhaps another mystery of gardening. However much advise is given regarding the husbandry of rose growing. As with most trees and shrubs. Keep the structure open. Cut out any spindly growth. Damaged stems, bark split etc. Cut them out and burn. The Black Sot spores can enter via damaged wood, soft or mature. It may take time, but eventually the disease will take it's toll. David Austin gets, his staff to hand defoliate all roses before Xmas to avoid infection. As I say. You can't cure Black Spot. Sprays etc will help to prevent it. Best wishes.

Droopy, Logan and eileen like this.
  7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thank you @MIKE ALLEN for your comments on my garden, dogs and my baking. Thanks for the information.
    Logan

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Nice to meet you too, Mike. Well, as I said in another thread, we live here despite the weather not because of it. I feel the garden is OK without a lot of roses since there are so many other lovely things we can grow without much effort. If the day comes that I want more roses I'll look for some that will tackle our weather and climate. I'm certain they exist. I've had roses in containers, but I still can't do anything about the weather unless I wheel them under a roof when it rains. I do like to watch photos of other people's roses though.

MIKE ALLEN and Logan like this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Roses can be a challenge for us too. Deer love eating the whole plant! Now we have a tall fence . Seven feet tall! So far they have not jumped it. I grew a lot of ours from cuttings. They seem more vigorous than grafted roses. Or maybe it's just those varieties. From time to time they get a thorough spraying of neem oil, which helps with aphids and black spot and mildew. However, one needs to be careful with that, too much can damage leaves. Most of the time we let them be and they do their own thing.

I grew these from hardwood cuttings.

1CA5825E-5467-40A1-AB6F-88C8790D3F99.jpeg

81807171-3B92-436E-BF16-CED5B79EFDA9.jpeg

3B11C5A3-4209-4D70-B260-EF3C42D5555C.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Those are lovely roses, Daniel. You have done well cloning roses.

Tetters and Daniel W like this.
  11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Yes those are lovely roses Daniel, I like the colour of the middle pic. What sort are they?

Daniel W likes this.
  12. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

I have to thank Tetters for passing on the name, Cottage Memories. This is another name used for a wholesale rose grower. I have had so much bad luck lately with roses. Honestly. I have even considered listing myself as, A novice grower rather than a rosarian. I have lost so, so many roses.

Following Tetters info. I decided to get some potted roses from the aforementioned. Very fast service. Great plants. Then about a week ago I ordered a collection of bare root roses. Georgeous.Hamilton Princess.One in a million.First great western.Scent from heaven.Summertime.Ena Harkness.& A whiter shade of pale. The plants arrived friday. Roots were well wet and wrapped in sheets of soaked newspaper,then each in seperate carrierbag-like wrappers. Within the hour, all plants were potted up into 15Ltr pots using fresh new compost. Watered and stood in the garden. Fingers crossed.

Debkat, Tetters, Daniel W and 2 others like this.
  13. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Hi Logan
    Thank you for your comment.
    The top one is a hybrid tea rose called "Red Masterpiece". It's very vigorous and hardwood cuttings root very easily. The mixed color in the middle is called "Playboy". I think it is a Floribunda type. It's also a great bloomer. I don't know the name of the bottom one. It was a cutting I took from a climbing rose. I moved it this fall. If I can find an arch for it, that's how I will grow it over the garden gate.

Mike, I was thinking... Is there a way to know if your roses are virus free? That was a big problem with my first attempt at grafted roses. Later, I just found roses that had excellent vigor, and asked for cuttings from them. That way I had some indication they would do OK for me.

Logan and MIKE ALLEN like this.
  14. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Thank you MarlinGardener!
    Back in the 1960s, my Great Aunts (One was named Rose, the other Alice) took rose cutting from bouquets, stuck the cuttings into the ground and covered them with large glass jars. That was in Illinois. They were in their 70s or 80s at the time. They had a beautiful rose garden, all started from cuttings. I learned that from them.

15. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

Daniel. To be honest. I have never carried out any pathalogical test on my roses. I just tend to write failures off. Perhaps I am in a way, being kind to the rose nurseries here in the UK.

Here in the UK, most shrubs etc are guaranteed for three to five years. Despite me telling others to claim for failures, it is a course seldom taken by myself despite that when I have complained etc usually I have been rewarded.

Perhaps I should take time to learn the commercial means of supply and demand of roses. Adverts will usually depict a rose plant with goods roots and at least three shoots/canes from the graft. I have often received roses with only a single shoot. For the purpose of shipping, most nurseries cut the plants back. This can be disasterous at times due to no buds remaining, also damaged canes/shoots that cause severe die-back. Another questionable factor is. Time spent as a bare root and under what conditions they are kept prior to being purchased. Might a plant actually have been void of soil and water for an extended period, that it has actually died. Apart from having spent a small fortune on conditioning my garden soil to no avail. I have resorted to growing roses in 15Ltr pots. Even so. Some failures arise.

Daniel W likes this.
  16. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

Hi Mike :)

I've been looking at them thru special spectacles :D

DSCI0001 (30) a.JPG

MIKE ALLEN, Logan and Daniel W like this.