Cat in labor, need advise

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Pinkiered, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Mouse was in labor when I got up this morning. She was under my kitchen sink. Whenever I go to sleep I close the door to the dogs room. As soon as I got up I let them outside. When we came back in, Mouse made a bee line to the dogs futon and is now laying right up against Kiwi....in labor. Most cats find a dark quiet spot but shes on a futon with the dogs.

None of the dogs will hurt the kittens, Im not worried about that. Im worried about the smell when it starts to dry. It stinks to high heaven. I dont know where her water broke but its broken. When I picked her up this morning, her bottom is soaked. And Im worried that if the dogs get too excited, they might step on one of the kittens.

Shes defintally in labor...you can see her stomache tighten. Everytime it does, Kiwi licks Mouse. Now should I leave her there or try and move her? I think trying to keep her away from the dogs while shes giving birth will be hard...esp if thats where she wants to have them.

HELP! I need advise!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Daniel W
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I am guessing she is where she wants to be and feels comforted by Kiwi's attentions so leaving her may be the best thing. Animals know more about what they need than we do most times.

After the kittens are born I would get a large box and some old towels or a blanket for them to stay in. That would protect them from being stepped on. Then wash the heck out of that futon adding baking soda to the wash and rinse cycles and let it dry out in direct sun, that should help with the smell.

4. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Maybe it's too late to change anything now, but you could just slide a waterproof padding underneath where she and the dogs are - a garbage bag underneath an old blanket or a couple large towels would work. She will have them where she wants to have them, goodness knows, but that way your furniture is protected.

I had a cat who had her kittens at the foot of my bed once, she was determined to be there. A fat rug and a towel worked fine, and then I relocated her and the kittens to an empty bureau drawer afterwards.

5. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Well, shes got two babies now. Right before she had the first one I slipped a thick towel under her. When she had it, I put her and baby in a box right up against the futon. Shes still in it and jsut had her second.

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

She was just seeking a comforting lick or nudge .Shanna sat beside Tiki when she was having hers as she moved her from the foot of the bed and to keep her from going back she was petting her to comfort her.

7. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Heres my two newest.
    Baby #1 Very long fur
    [​IMG]

Baby #2
    [​IMG]

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Oh how cute .I just adore babies.I think a long hair kitten is just the cutest.

9. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

10. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Heh how cute! Thanks for the world exclusives Denee! We must come up with names for them ;)

11. Hank

Hank Seedling

Itty Bitty Kitties!

12. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

She just had #4. She didnt clean this one. I think she is starting to tire. So I picked him up to dry him off with a towel and two of my pussycat dogs wanted to see...LOL This has got to be the cutest pic EVER!
    [​IMG]

13. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I feel a caption coming on for that last pic :D

14. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

LOLI thought the same thing! I do agree that we have find names for them. Im not sure if she done having them or if shes just taking a break.

Im soooooooooo tired. Im thinking Im going to go take a nap! LOL

15. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Such long fur, and so cuuuute! I'm sure she'll be a wonderful mommy, especially with the dogs to help out. ;-)

16. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

They are cute Denee. I hope she doesn't have any trouble. Can you find an organization near you to help with the spaying costs for Mouse, or a low cost vet. We have a vet in Gonzales that is low cost, people come from all over to use him, and he is good. Just remember, 4 kittens and a mom can turn into 34 or even 84 before too long. They multiply quickly.