Caution when cleaning that computer!

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by Capt Kirk, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

A gentleman I know works in an office for a major automobile co. He was cleaning a commercial paper shredder and using a can of canned air that everyone uses to clean their computers etc. The can blew up! He got his eyebrow singed and a nick in his ear from a piece of shrapnel from it. Several years ago when the manufacturers were forced to stop using florocarbons to propel spray paint and other types of spray items, they started using butane gas as a propellent. They think that static electricity is what sparked the butane causing the can to explode. So when using it, use it outdoors!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sherry8
      Replies:
      Views:

3. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

Wow! Hope he's all right. I've never used it myself, but I have heard of it. Thanks for the warning CK.

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

My sister always complained that my computer keyboard was so dirty. Of course, spilling the while glass of wine didn't help at all.:setf_056: I washed the keys and used that can of air to clean the cracks out but it still was dirty. She is coming to visit and I just knew she is going to make a comment about my dirty keyboard so I started to disassemble it. Took the front away from the back, and found there was a rubber shield laying over the electronic parts. Now I had the top frame and keys in my hands with no connection to the working parts. I took it to the sink and, yes, I put it in my kitchen sink and with soap and warm water, washed it well. Used the can of air, outside to dry it well. Lightly cleaned that shield that covering the electronic parts with a clean rag.

Now the keys are shiny clean and the deep cracks are spotless. Feels sooo good to use the keyboard now. Now when my sister comes to visit, she can be proud that her little sis listened and figured out what to do to satisfy her complaint. The visit will be this Sunday, THE OLD :setf_053: :rofl:

'note to self' Must send her a like to read this post :rofl:

Now, even though I used it hanging outside my front door, I am leery about using that can of air again. But I'll bet I will....

Barb in Pa.

5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks for the info Capt Kirk, never knew that compressed air contain flammable gas in it.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't use it myself as I use meths to clean my keyboard. Mind you I have to be careful with that too and keep it away from naked flames.

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

eileen, What's meths?????

Barb in Pa.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Barb 'Meths' is short for methylated spirit. If diluted it can be used to clean keyboards. Undiluted it's a great glass cleaner!!

9. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I'm glad the accident was not more serious. An interesting observation however, I will have to check to see what is in my spray cans, outside, away from sparks, on a windy day, with eyebrows covered. Sounds like an experiment is required.

Jerry