Central Air Unit Not Cooling House

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by BrendanMowgli, Jun 30, 2009.

1. BrendanMowgli

BrendanMowgli New Seed

I have 2 units- one upstairs and one downstairs-

The upstairs is blowing- I feel the air blowing- the thingamabob outside (can't think of the name) is operating, but no cold air. I did notice that there's no water being pumped out.

I hear its the compressor, but hopefully it's something else. Is there a few other checks I can do before I call the rapis- I mean the HVAC guy?

Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. Calomaar

Calomaar Deputy's Friend

I'm retired from the heating and Air Conditioning business. The Condenser is the out door unit, and if it is running and the compressor within it is also running and further the indoor fan is running, the first thing that comes to mind is that you are low on refrigerant. The second thing could be that the air filter is dirty, and has caused the coil at the furnace (Indoor Blower), to freeze up. If the second guess is correct, there would be no, or at best a small amount of air blowing into the house. Way less than usual. There also may be ice on the pipes that connect between the condenser and the furnace. In both cases it's best not to run it until it is repaired. Without being there, and the resulting lack of information, it's hard to make more than just a guess. Plus I just noticed that you are in England, and the equipment there may be different from ours. Good luck. Check the air filter to be sure.
    Tom

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I didnt' realize that a dirty air filter could cause such a serious problem with the coil freezing up... I am terrible at remembering to change the filter but I'm going to find a better way of remembering from now on. Thanks for that info Tom, and thanks BrendanMowgli for asking the question. I hope you get your AC fixed up soon.

5. shubh

shubh New Seed

I think there is a problem with your compressor unit. There may be some leakage or stuck of cooling gas in the pipe. Dirty filter affects the cooling but not so much as you are telling.