Chamomile and Ox-eye daisies

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by AAnightowl, May 27, 2019.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have been confused by the pictures of white daisies on chamomile pictures, and they look very much alike. A friend posted on FB about how good chamomile tea is, and there was that white daisy again. I decided to look it up, and see if there is any difference in them or not.

I found this excellent site on Bing.

http://www.botanicalaccuracy.com/2014/10/chamomille-what-flower-is-on-your-tea.html

Since Frank likes us to be accurate here, I thought others might like to know if they do not already know the differences. Apparently some tea companies just use any white daisies on their packages! And stock pictures from the internet are not careful about identification either.

I don't know about you, but I have a 'thing' about mystery foods and not knowing what is on my plate. (One reason for my aversion to meat, especially ground meats.) I have a lot of allergies, plus religious preferences about what I eat.

Another reason is, with herbs, if you confuse plants, you might eat/drink something deadly.

Take Queen Anne's Lace and Hemlock... they appear similar, but the Hemlock is quite deadly, so you would not want to confuse them.

Jewell, Gail-Steman and Odif like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Hello @AAnightowl I've just read the link good info :like:...my hubby loves these drinks but I can't stand them sorry but you have made a good point regarding allergies and certain allergies can lead to death with some people...it just goes to show how some drinks and food can be misleading :)

4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Allergic or not, some plants are just plain ol' poison, such as hemlock. I keep forgetting if it was Plato or Aristotle, but they made one of them drink hemlock because he did something they considered wrong. You can be dead in only a few minutes with that stuff.

https://www.askaprepper.com/how-to-...-healing-queen-annes-lace-and-deadly-hemlock/

Here is a good site explaining the differences. The picture under #5 if perfect. The first set of pictures at the top is difficult to tell, but that is part of the point. I have heard of people dying by mixing them up.

Gail-Steman and Jewell like this.